Associate Director of Engineering (Remote)
San Francisco, CA /
Trim's mission is to improve the financial well-being of hardworking Americans and over the past five years, we've saved our users more than $70 million. Trim was recently acquired by OneMain Financial which will enable us to massively scale our impact. Your work will directly improve the financial health of our 600,000 active users and many more to come!
We are a highly collaborative team and bring our best selves to work every day because we enjoy working with each other. We prioritize team culture as much as we do our customers. We are looking for people who embody our company's core values: Customer Obsessed, Unstoppable Owners, Truth-Seeking, Constantly Evolving, and Compassionate Colleagues.
We are a remote-first company. Our team is distributed across the U.S. and has access to a network of OneMain offices in New York City, Baltimore, Wilmington, Austin, and Chicago. This is a remote position, and may require occasional travel for meetings and offsites.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering leader to manage and grow a team of software engineers, manage and scale our portfolio of financial wellness products, and provide technical partnership to our business and product teams. This role serves on OneMain’s Digital Engineering leadership team, Trim’s leadership team, and has direct ownership of core Trim KPIs.
- Lead and grow the engineering team, with an active focus on hiring and onboarding new team members to be successful in their roles.
- Enable your team to do their best work by supporting a healthy and collaborative engineering culture that embodies Trim’s values.
- Develop engineers to advance in their careers.
- Ensure a reliable experience for Trim customers across all properties, while simultaneously enabling a rapid pace of development and agile iteration.
- Make impact-driven investment decisions, shepherding Trim’s engineering org through its next stage of growth toward serving millions of customers.
- Set the tone and direction for the engineering team, supporting a culture of code quality, documentation, and thoughtful design tradeoffs. Anticipate strategic and scaling challenges via intentional long-term planning.
- Establish relationships and work across departments within OneMain’s Digital organization.
- Participate in OneMain Digital Engineering leadership discussions and advocate for Trim’s engineering org to OneMain leadership.
- Collaborate closely with the product, design, growth, and marketing teams to solve complex business problems, set the product roadmap, and be a strong advocate for product and engineering excellence.
- Maintain a hands-on working knowledge of the codebase enabling you to have impact at all levels: providing technical counsel in strategic discussions and providing technical guidance to engineering projects as needed.
- Partner with Trim’s management team on strategic priorities, providing technical counsel and strategic input.
Technologies we use:
- Server: Ruby on Rails and Node
- Infrastructure: PostgreSQL, AWS, Convox, and Docker
- DevTools: DataDog, Sentry, Heap, LaunchDarkly, GitHub, and CircleCI
- 5+ years of experience managing both individual contributors and managers on product-focused teams.
- 5+ years of full time, full-stack web application development experience across frontend, backend, and infrastructure and have a solid understanding of technical fundamentals.
- 5+ years of experience working with Rails or similar framework.
- 2+ years of experience working with Single Page Applications.
- Strong track record of recruiting and retaining high performing engineering talent.
- A history of hands-on technical ownership on high-impact engineering projects.
- A strong desire to go into the details with an entrepreneurial and persistent attitude.
- Experience working in a high-growth, early-stage startup with the ability to earn trust across the team.
- Strong command of verbal and written communication to drive alignment and collaborate across functional teams.
Why work at Trim @ OneMain?
- Opportunity to work at a start-up inside of a 100-year-old public company: all the dynamism of a start-up culture with the stability and financial resources of a highly profitable enterprise.
- We are a mission-driven, highly collaborative team who keeps our customer at the forefront of our strategy and decisions.
- We are growing rapidly with many new and exciting challenges on both technical and operational fronts.
- We have a remote-first distributed team enabling both high performance and work-life balance.
- Competitive salary and total compensation; full benefits, including top-tier medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 4% 401k match.
- Team fun: Bi-Weekly Happy Hours, Random Monthly Events, Games Lunches, Team Offsites, and Trim Treats.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the users we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech and financial services industry to apply.
Trim @ OneMain Financial is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.