Senior Software Engineer, Full-Stack
San Francisco, CA
Trim is a venture backed fintech startup based in San Francisco. Founded with the mission of making people financially healthy at scale, we have saved our users millions of dollars since our founding 4 years ago, and we have just scratched the surface.
We are looking for a senior full-stack software engineer to lead the development of core features and infrastructure for our product. Engineering is the core of our company. Your work will directly improve the financial health of our users, and will directly affect and be seen by hundreds of thousands of users.
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to the CTO.
What will you do?
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain software across the stack from frontend to backend to infrastructure.
- Develop, articulate, and prioritize software requirements by working closely with the product, design, growth, and marketing teams.
- Use data-driven development and decision making to improve the performance, robustness, and scalability of our systems.
- Invest in tools and automation to scale your impact and improve productivity across the whole team.
- Teach, mentor and learn from your teammates. Lead and participate in interesting internal tech talks.
- Support a culture of code quality, documentation, and thoughtful design tradeoffs. Navigate between shipping quickly and long-term maintainability.
Technologies we use:
- Client: ES6, React, Redux
- Server: Ruby on Rails, Python
- Infrastructure: PostgreSQL, AWS (RDS, ECS, EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, and others), Redshift, Convox, Docker, Heroku
Ideal candidates will have:
- A desire to use their talents to make the world a better place.
- Working experience in SQL (data modeling, query analysis and optimization).
- A deep understanding of the fundamentals of the web.
- Prior experience at a high-growth, early-stage company.
- A keen eye for product and user experience.
- Ability to think critically and independently.
- Demonstrable interest in learning and adopting new tools and techniques.
- Complex single-page applications
- AWS architecture
- PostgreSQL, Redis
- Microservices architecture
- Non-relational databases
- Large-scale data storage and processing
Experience and understanding in some of the following areas:
Some projects you might work on in your first few months:
- Lead the full-stack development of a new product that identifies key insights into a consumer’s financial habits and guides them with actionable steps to achieve financial independence.
- Build a pub/sub layer to allow the frontend to receive real-time backend data updates without polling.
- Create a data model to measure and identify user income from transaction data.
- Reduce the size of the React application bundle by enabling code splitting by route.
- Migrate terabytes of data stored within PostgreSQL to a separate service with its own data store and distinct scaling characteristics.
Why work at Trim?
- Work with our high-performing, upbeat, and highly-collaborative team.
- Move quickly and gain significant ownership over your results.
- Commute easily to our office at 14th and Market St. in San Francisco.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation.
- Full benefits, including top-tier medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Standard start-up perks: catered lunches, delicious snacks, and a variety of succulents.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the users we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.