Wonder is a new kind of knowledge service that makes your brain scalable. We provide instant access to the intellect and fact-finding skills of a distributed network of analysts around the world. We enable anyone - from individuals up to Fortune 500s - to gain strategic knowledge when they need it most.
We are seeking our first Controller to build a world-class accounting department.
You will be the sole accountant in the company managing all financial activities and reporting to the C-level execs. Ideally should have 2 years of experience in auditing with a reputable public accounting firm, combined with 3-4 years of supervisory experience leading all aspects of an accounting department for a venture-backed, quickly-growing start-up. You will have the opportunity to design and build the accounting function and prepare the company for its first audit.
- Managing the daily and monthly accounting operations, including Billing, A/R, A/P, Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Developing the company’s accounting policies and procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Managing the timely close of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements. This includes recording journal entries, reconciling balances and ensuring accuracy by reviewing financial statements, investigating account variations and verifying account balances.
- Owning the interaction between our back-end scheduling and payments systems and the accounting system
- Preparing special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Complying with federal, state, and local legal requirements
- Researching proper GAAP treatment for the transactions of a SAAS and on-demand marketplace business that provides research services
- Managing external year-end audit including preparation of necessary work papers through issuance of the audit report
- Managing annual tax return preparation by an outside CPA firm
- 5 - 6 years combined total experience in a public accounting firm and in a supervisory position within a fast-growing venture-backed company
- CPA preferred, BA/BS required
- Well versed in GAAP and experienced in researching, developing and implementing accounting policies and procedures
- Previous work experience in a growing start-up and/or on-demand marketplace business is strongly preferred
- Experience with Quickbooks, Xero, NetSuite or Intacct is required
- Ability to identify issues and communicate those issues to a seasoned management team
- Must be hands-on and comfortable working independently. Must be comfortable with and embrace working at a very detailed level (for example, booking journal entries and reconciling accounts) as well as thinking strategically about the direction of the accounting department.
- Intermediate Excel skills are required
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.