Full Stack Software Engineer
Wonder is a new kind of knowledge service that makes your brain scalable. We provide instant access to the intellect and fact-finding skills of a distributed network of analysts around the world. We enable anyone - from individuals up to Fortune 500s - to gain strategic knowledge when they need it most.
We are rapidly scaling, backed by some of the world's best investors, and looking for more software engineers to join us in our beautiful office in Manhattan to help build the product and the organization that goes along with it. Do you want to be part of growing this team to a household name in NYC tech over the next few years?
You should be comfortable working in a stack based on Node.js and Express on the backend and React on the frontend. We use MongoDB and Postgres as our primary datastores and run on a combination of Heroku and AWS. Are you not experienced with all of these technologies? That's okay! As long as you're happy and eager to learn we still want to hear from you.
We're passionate about what we do, always up for a challenge, and want to continue building a supportive, happy and inclusive engineering team. Do you think that sounds like a team you'd want to join?
You'll be brainstorming, designing and implementing ways to:
- More efficiently route questions to analysts
- Surface insights from past research
- Expand our knowledge database
- Help our analysts do their best work
- Ensure we can operate effectively at scale
- Support your coworkers' professional growth
To be successful here, we believe that you have:
- 2+ years of experience building data driven web applications, from writing requirements to deploying and maintaining in production
- Some operations experience including app deployment, monitoring, and configuration
- Designed APIs before
- An ability to clearly communicate and articulate your ideas
- Interest in working on a small team where you get to wear many hats and collaborate with others outside your discipline
- Real passion for solving hard problems and a deep curiosity about the world around you
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Willingness to work on-site in NYC
What our interview process looks like
We won't sit you down in front of a whiteboard and ask you to write a sorting algorithm. Instead, we try to simulate working together as closely as possible.
These are the four steps involved:
1. A short introductory call with our head of engineering, where we can get to know each other and talk about the company in more detail
2. A take-home project where you are asked to tackle a problem closely related to the kind of work we do every day
3. An on-site technical interview where we'll review the take-home project together, discuss some software architectural problems and maybe do some pair programming on the project
4. An on-site cultural interview where you meet with some people from the product team to learn more about how we work, how we make decisions and what kind of people we are
We can usually do steps 3 and 4 in about 4 hours total, so it can be done over one or two days depending on your schedule.
After that we will be ready to make a decision, pending reference checks.
How to apply
Please apply on this site and include a note about which part of this posting stuck out to you and we will get back to you shortly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.