Vancouver, British Columbia
Technology Development /
Regular, Full-time /
We are seeking a Mechatronics Engineer with extensive experience developing electromechanical automation systems to join Aspect’s highly multidisciplinary Engineering and Technology development team. In this role, you will develop automation systems to improve the scale and efficiency of our bioprinted tissue manufacturing and microfluidic printhead manufacturing workflows. You will use your skills in electronics design, robotics, control systems, and sensory technology to build systems.
The hiring range for this role is $63,000 - $90,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data and offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, the successful candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience.
- Design automation systems that include robotic, electronic, mechanical, fluidic, pneumatic, and myriad sensory elements for use in highly controlled environments such as cleanrooms and aseptic conditions.
- Maintain a deep understanding of Aspects bioprinting technology, tissue manufacturing workflow, and printhead manufacturing workflow.
- Come up with technical solutions that meet requirements, are not more complex than necessary, are user-centric, and cost-effective.
- Stay up to speed on the state-of-the-art in automation systems, sensors, and electronics as appropriate for the types of technical challenges at Aspect.
- Follow and champion technical documentation standards and participate as needed in their development.
- Maintain a close working relationship with internal end-users such as tissue R&D, Process Development, and CMC teams.
- Contribute to intellectual property filings.
- Degree in Mechatronic, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, or similar, with 5+ years of professional experience.
- Proven expertise in PCB and circuit design, ideally using KiCAD.
- Significant experience developing control systems with optical and motion components.
- Experience developing instrumentation or automation systems in cleanroom and aseptic environments.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes broadly, and design-for-manufacturing
- Excellent CAD design skills, particularly using SolidWorks.
- Familiarity with wet-lab processes and laboratory instrumentation.
- Experience developing systems from conception to deployment in a commercial setting.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.