Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Remote)
United States /
Tech – Engineering /
Full-time - Remote
Aspiration is in the business of fighting the climate crisis. We help people and businesses build sustainable impact into what they do every day by making it easy, automated, and powerful -- whether it is in the ways people spend and save their money or the ways businesses engage their customers and employees. Across our initiatives--from our debit and credit cards to our global scale reforestation and carbon credit projects--the estimated cumulative climate impact of the Aspiration community thus far is the equivalent of taking every car in the state of Wyoming off the road for a year. With more than 7 million members, over $550 million in funding to date, and a commitment to plant one billion trees by 2030, Aspiration is not only a certified B Corporation but has been named to the “Best for the World” list of the top five percent of highest scored certified B Corporations five times in a row.
Aspiration has a robust backend microservice layer that is built upon proven scalable technologies including Golang, Ruby, Node, and Java running on the AWS cloud infrastructure and leveraging serverless technologies that continue to push the envelope for scalable systems for our customers. With these services, the team is able to handle millions of requests, is able to test and deploy through continuous delivery, and report on terabytes of data as a daily routine.
We’re looking for experienced backend engineers to speed our development of high performance, secure financial services technology. Our team values clean and clear server side code, using “best of” tools from the Open Source ecosystem and our cloud infrastructure and is excited about enabling Aspiration’s mission with the next generation of backend technology.
Action: We take initiative. We are doers, not bystanders.
Boldness: We don’t tinker, we transform.
Customer-Centered: Our customers are at the core of our business. Delivering for them is our North Star.
Diligence & Dedication: We do what we say we’re going to do, when we say we’re going to do it.
Entrepreneurial: Act like an entrepreneur not an employee, generate results for the company and customers everyday.
What You'll Do
- Make technical decisions that improve the codebase while minimizing risk
- Play a key role in mapping the expanding needs of the business into innovative technical solutions within a highly scalable and event-driven architecture
- Tackle projects and problems of significantly larger scope
- Coordinate and communicate seamlessly across other technical and product teams
- Be a leader and mentor to other team members, contributing to code reviews and other team processes
What You'll Bring
- 6+ years of experience writing code for a backend framework, preferably Golang, Ruby/Rails, Java
- SQL code experience, e.g., joins and nested queries (we work close to the data.) If you’ve logged out and explained ORM queries, you’re in good shape here
- A modest interest in Golang project
- Understanding of REST API design and CRUD
- GraphQL experience: schema design, resolver logic and code, etc.
- Swagger basics, either as code first or design first.
- Protocol buffers, especially the Golang protoc compiler and plugins.
- Code for producer/consumer event-based messaging, e.g., using RabbitMQ, AWS SNS/SQS
- Time on a scrum managed project: daily standups, kanban tracked tickets, etc.
- Continuous integration tools, e.g., Docker, CircleCI
What You'll Get
- Opportunity to work for a mission-driven company that operates conscientiously to support the welfare of local communities and the fight against the climate crisis.
- Work for a company that is ESG certified and 1% for the Planet.
- Participation in Aspiration’s DEI movement, fueled by ongoing employee activities and events.
- Robust benefit offerings, including medical, dental, vision and 401K.
- Parental Leave expansion (12 weeks of paid leave over the course of a year).
- Pet Insurance and other voluntary benefit plan offerings.
- Unlimited vacation time and 80 hours of sick time annually to support a healthy work-life balance.
- Work from home setup and equipment reimbursement.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program.
- 12 Paid Holidays
Aspiration is proud to be an ESG company. We are an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity at Aspiration is not just compliance-driven. Diversity is our compass to drive equitable practices; to celebrate individuality; and to foster the uniqueness within each of us that makes our products, services, and culture better than most. Yes, we are proud to be a DEI company and we encourage everyone, inside and outside of Aspiration, to show up as you are and as you want to be, every day.
This organization participates in E-Verify. Find more information here!