Senior Software Engineer
Remote (US or Canada) /
Technology – Engineering /
About the Position
Our engineering team is responsible for designing, developing, and running web services that make up the foundation of the Assurance business.
This position is responsible for developing the customer- and agent-facing UI, along with upstream and downstream APIs, integrations with various information providers (MediaAlpha, HasOffers, Experian just to name a few), integration with insurance carriers (Prudential, TransAmerica, Lumico and number of others), payment processors, and financial vendors. We are working on developing the next generation of our platform that would allow us Assurance to expand into other business domains at a fraction of engineering cost.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned software engineer, who has been working on internal- and public-facing web services for a number of years. You have made your share of mistakes and learned from them. You have good instincts and strong judgment, and your decisions were tested by time over and over again. You demonstrate an exemplary level of ownership and no problem is below you. You enjoy creating designs and writing code that would outlive you.
The ideal candidate would
- Have 4+ years of practical experience developing distributed service-based applications
- Have a track record of designing, developing and shipping complex software projects that required cross-team collaboration
- Be proficient in at least one high-level programming language such as Java, Python, or Ruby
- Have strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve or mitigate issues
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be comfortable working with AWS services
- Have practical experience developing APIs for the modern world
- Have deep practical knowledge of Ruby on Rails and related ecosystem
- Have experience working in the fintech or insuretech business domain
Note: Assurance is required by multiple state and city laws to include the salary range on position postings when hiring in those specific locals. The salary range for this position will be between $130,000 - $170,000 and may be eligible for additional bonus or commission plans + benefits. Eligibility to participate in the bonus or commission plans is subject to the rules governing those programs, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors including, without limitation, individual and/or organizational performance. In addition, employees are eligible for standard benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and retirement.
Assurance offers the best online insurance shopping experience; within minutes a customer can have instantly approved life, health, auto, or home coverage. We’ve simplified the online checkout process so that customers can get covered instantly online, and we’ve also built an on-demand workforce of licensed insurance agents that can speak with customers who want to talk to an expert, 24x7. Powering all of this is a cloud-first, event-driven, service-oriented-architecture, using the latest software frameworks. We combine our web technology with data science models at every step to make intelligent decisions about how we market to customers, what policies we recommend, and which agents we match to customers. Our mission is to make insurance easier, cheaper, and higher quality, for everyone – not just the affluent. Our team is humble, driven, and committed to improving the lives of millions.
We’ve pioneered many new technologies and are proud of many world-first technical achievements. We are the only company to pay commissions to on-demand workers with a real-time payment solution, so money earned is deposited into their bank accounts instantly, every day of the year; and to pay dynamic bonus rewards generated in real-time by machine learning models during phone sales calls. We developed a voice signature technology to enable customers to conveniently sign for their insurance policy over the phone. We built a completely serverless telephony platform that uses dozens of machine learning models to automatically optimize how we place phone calls to customers and connect them with sales agents on the platform.
In September 2019, Assurance was acquired by Prudential (NYSE:PRU; $36B market cap) to further the joint mission of improving financial wellness across the world. We are at the forefront of this exciting mission and are looking for experienced software engineers who are excited about the chance to rethink the insurance industry from the ground up in a technology-first manner.
We have 4 engineering offices worldwide in Seattle (headquarters), Toronto, Ft. Lauderdale, and Kathmandu. Each office has many teams of engineers; each team owns a set of software applications and business functionality. We work collaboratively across time zones and geographies, using Slack, Zoom, Github, and email. Engineers in remote offices will typically visit headquarters once or twice per year.
Review our CCPA policies here.
Choose Assurance Because:
· Exceptional base salary plus bonus structure
· Comprehensive benefits which include, medical, dental, vision, 401K and more
· Unlimited paid vacation, sick leave, plus paid holidays.
· Growth opportunities, advance your career rapidly, we offer leadership development training and promote from within.
· Ongoing coaching and career development including individual and group coaching sessions.
· Fast paced, high performance environment.