Alameda, CA /
Finance – Accounting /
Astra's mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we'll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you're excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.
Astra is seeking a Corporate Controller with exceptional communication, analytical and management skills. The Corporate Controller will be responsible for managing all aspects of the accounting function, both technical and transactional, including but not limited to, SEC reporting, consolidations, corporate accounting, technical accounting, cost and production accounting, internal controls, Sarbanes- Oxley compliance, payroll, treasury, and international accounting.
The Corporate Controller will be responsible for driving regulatory compliance and best practices and developing financial strategies in partnership with the Chief Financial Officer. The ideal candidate should be comfortable in a dynamic fast-paced environment, will bring energy and passion and will not be afraid to roll-up their sleeves to tackle challenging assignments.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission:
- Leading the accounting team in the development, implementation, and oversight of company-wide accounting policies and controls consistent with SEC, US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Provide support, advice and counsel to the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Executive Officer, as well as to other senior executives within the Company on all financial and accounting activities.
- Ensuring the maintenance of corporate liquidity and financial stability including management of balance sheet risks.
- Partnering with the Chief Financial Officer to determine accounting implications for all material business decisions, including both organic and inorganic opportunities.
- Communicating pending changes in accounting rules and regulations to senior management which carry financial or operational implications and partner with senior management to resolve them.
- Directing involvement with the preparation, review, and filing of the financial statements and disclosures.
- Serve as the primary thought leader and resource regarding all complex accounting questions/issues including adoption of new accounting standards and new contract/deal structures.
- Build appropriate processes and solve for ambiguity.
- Build a high performing team with a focus on attracting, developing and retaining top accounting talent that can scale with company growth.
Why We Value You:
- Problem-solver - you enjoy being presented with problems, because you deliver solutions and enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute and deliver results.
- Accountable - you take ownership over outcomes and are comfortable owning some of our most important public facing information.
- Self-starter - you take initiative and thrive in environments that require you to wear multiple hats.
- Builder - you enjoy building and rebuilding processes and building relationships to drive consensus across teams, influence decision making, and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Analytical - you know the highest impact questions to ask and can dive into the data and do the analysis required to answer those questions.
- Desired Multipliers
- Top rate financial skills with at least 10 years of experience within a high growth environment.
- Experience as the corporate level Controller or Assistant Controller within a public company.
- CPA and undergraduate degree required; MBA or other graduate degree preferred.
- Deep technical knowledge with strong analytical, accounting, and cost accounting skills. Solid control and operational orientation.
- Prior experience working within a manufacturing environment.
- Experience operating in a high-growth, entrepreneurial environment. IPO experience preferred.
- Prior experience working at a Big 4 Accounting Firm and/or Public Company.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.