Python Software Engineer
Alameda, CA /
Engineering & Operations – Software Engineering /
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
Software is at the forefront of how we operate at Astra. As a vertically integrated rocket company, every decision we make is data driven from CAD designs to the launch of a rocket, we look for patterns and relationships at each stage of our design, manufacturing, test, and operations. This unprecedented level of integration requires an equally vertically integrated "operating system" that gives insight into topics that matter, guiding our decisions.
As an Python Software Engineer on the Astra OS team, you will join a small but fast-growing team of scrappy ERP engineers (Software and Functional) that work in a cross-functional, collaborative and blame-free environment. On day one, you will be hands-on designing, developing, testing, deploying, and running a modern ERP system to build rockets!
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Learn: Work with cross-functional teams to understand the end-to-end functionality and impact of our ERP system.
- Build: Design and develop in Python features in Odoo, to scale with hyper growth of Astra.
- Fail fast: Embrace change and iteration over dogma and stagnation.
- Dream: Think big in terms of what's possible to build a truly extraordinary ERP system.
- Up-level: Continuously work to better yourself and peers --opportunity is boundless!
Why We Value You
- You are a Python Software Engineer, preferably with Odoo Manufacturing experience (Aerospace industry experience a plus)
- Work closely with project sponsors, product owners, business analysts and technical project managers throughout the planning, implementation and support phases
- Involved in requirements gathering
- Translating the requirements and solution to technical specs and final validation
- You have exceptional problem solving, communication, and collaboration skills. Flexibility and enthusiasm for learning technologies, tools, and ideas
- Must have 7 years expertise developing in Python
- 2 years Odoo experience a plus (with Manufacturing would be awesome and Aerospace industry experience a dream come true)
- Demonstrates principles of quality customer service, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and flexible enough to work with different technical skill levels and skillsets
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and GitOps is desirable.
- Professional certificates or advanced degrees are desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or technology related
$155,000 - $185,000 a year
The stated compensation range reflects only the targeted base salary range in the San Francisco Bay Area and excludes additional earnings such as bonus, equity, and benefits. If your salary requirements fall outside of the range, we still encourage you to apply.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.