Senior Thermal Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Mechanical & Propulsion Engineering – Thermal Engineering /
Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $350 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career. Just check out our Glassdoor reviews to see what our team has to say about working at Astranis.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
- Identify feasible thermal architectures and mature designs through conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design phases using practical passive and active thermal control techniques.
- Lead design trades that successfully balance performance margins, resource use, risk, cost, and schedule.
- Perform thermal analysis to varying degrees of fidelity (simplified to detailed) on a variety of different types of hardware such as propulsion components, batteries, high powered electronics, RF components, mechanisms, and printed circuit boards (PCBs).
- Design, analyze, procure and test thermal solutions such as heaters, heat pipes, thermal interface materials, and surface coatings.
- Develop processes and procedures for integration and assembly which ensure thermal design intent is met. Assist the integration and test team in the installation of thermal hardware as needed.
- Plan and run thermal vacuum testing and verification at the component and spacecraft level.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or physics
- 8+ years of experience in a thermal/mechanical role
- Experience in thermal analysis and thermally-constrained design; computational thermal design experience (finite methods) is not required but highly preferred
- Proficiency with mechanical CAD
- A passion for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on design and development
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience with Thermal Desktop
- Experience with ANSYS Mechanical or ANSYS IcePak
- Experience with Electronics Packaging and Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design
- Experience building and operating high vacuum systems
- Experience designing for a vacuum environment or environments with large temperature swings
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.