Senior Electrical Engineer — Avionics
San Francisco, CA /
Full-time roles – Vehicle Engineering /
Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We are well-funded by some of the best investors in the business and have raised over $350 million to date. We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career. Just check out our Glassdoor reviews to see what our team has to say about working at Astranis.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
Sr Electrical Engineer - Avionics
As a senior electrical engineer on the Avionics team at Astranis you will be responsible for leading designs for the sub-systems that form the backbone of our satellites's internal communication, power distribution, sensor aggregation, and flight computer systems. You'll take ownership of the architecture for the avionics systems, drive discussions on key design trades, and work collaboratively with engineers across the organization to develop creative and innovative solutions that will push the envelope of satellite technology.
- Architect, design, and develop space and radiation tolerant and highly reliable electronics that will support the operation of our satellites
- Drive electronics design from concept development, requirements gathering, architecture definition, component selection, schematic capture, layout, simulation, DFx, bringup, verification, and through to qualification
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of mechanical, thermal, software, RTL, RF, GNC, and manufacturing engineers to solve challenging problems and develop innovative and creative solutions
- Work closely with our CMs to ensure designs are manufacturable, built on-time, and meet Astranis’s quality and reliability needs
- Develop and maintain schedules and ensure that project stakeholders are regularly informed
- Help build optimal processes for hardware development and collaboration across the company
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring additional teammates to our rapidly-growing team.
- B.S. or higher in electrical or computer engineering, or similar technical degree
- 5+ years of professional experience with fast-paced product design cycles
- 5+ years of board level experience designing hardware from concept through production.
- A passion for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on design and development
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, and test hardware from scratch
- Strong analog/mixed-signal circuit design skills
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- 5+ years of experience with designing and implementing signal conditioning, sensors, electro-mechanical actuators, power switches, embedded computers, or such hardware.
- Experience with FPGAs, Microcontrollers, and communication schemes (RS-485, SPI, Ethernet, I2C)
- Experience leading a team of engineers and working with teams in other disciplines.
- Strong understanding of computers and knowledge of C, C++, or Python
- Radiation effects knowledge
- Environmental test experience
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.