Senior Electrical Engineer — Power Electronics
San Francisco, CA
U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR GREEN CARD REQUIRED
(Note: This is due to U.S. export regulations, and we are unable to make exceptions.)
Four billion people do not have access to the internet. Astranis is going to change that. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost telecommunications satellites to bring the world online.
Come work with incredibly smart people who have flown things in space before. No prior space experience needed, you just need to enjoy getting your hands dirty with real hardware and be okay with struggling to do things that seem impossibly hard.
We’re a well-funded team of over 60 world-class engineers that moves fast. We raised our Series A from Andreessen Horowitz in 2017, launched our first satellite in 2018, secured our first major customer deal in 2019, and we’ll triple the satellite internet capacity of Alaska in 2020.
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
- Technical ownership of design of kW-level power systems for our satellites
- Manage and control key components such as solar panel arrays, power regulation and distribution, and high-density batteries
- Integrate these systems into the spacecraft by working closely with the rest of the team
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- A passion for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and hands-on design and development
- Experience in designing, building, and testing analog and digital circuits
- Experience with kW level power electronics (DC-DC conversion, AC-DC conversion, etc)
- Experience with PCB thermal considerations
- Mastery of electrical CAD (Altium preferred, but not required)
- EMI/EMC experience
- US Citizenship or Green Card
- Experience with designing for fault tolerance, especially to withstand a radiation environment
- Experience with design, layout, and bring-up of large chips, including 1000 pin BGA MCUs and FPGAs
- Experience with power distribution networks for high frequency applications
- Familiarity with embedded programming
- Electromechanical design experience
- Experience with galvanic isolation
- Experience with photovoltaics
- Experience with Li-ion batteries and chargers
- Experience with magnetics in power electronics