Senior Ground Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residency, or Refugee/Asylee Status Required
(To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States, or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3))
Four billion people do not have access to the internet. Astranis is going to change that. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost telecommunications satellites to bring the world online.
Come work with incredibly smart people who have flown things in space before. No prior space experience needed, you just need to enjoy getting your hands dirty with real hardware and be okay with struggling to do things that seem impossibly hard.
We’re a well-funded team of over 100 world-class engineers that move fast. We raised our Series B ($90M) from Andreessen Horowitz and Venrock, launched our first satellite in 2018, secured our first major customer deal in 2019, and we’ll triple the satellite internet capacity of Alaska in 2021.
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
- Lead the design, build, and implementation of our ground software system for GEOSat-1
- Work closely with our operations and satellite teams to build command interfaces and telemetry screens that enable safe, efficient, and elegant command and control of our satellite throughout its mission
- Design high-performance, reliable, mission-critical software that sends commands to space!
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to define software requirements, architectures, and designs
- Experience building and leading high-performing teams
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and deriving requirements from cross-functional conversation and collaboration
- Experience with C/C++, Python, or other high-level object-oriented programming language(s)
- Experience with system level architecture and big data design, and SQL databases in particular
- Cloud development using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Highly motivated, self-starting, and able to perform duties autonomously without supervision
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience developing proprietary/commercial or open source satellite operations software (e.g., COSMOS, Major Tom)
- Experience in satellite operations
- Experience with tools such as JIRA, Jenkins, and Docker
- Experience with NoSQL databases