Senior Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineer
San Francisco, CA
U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR GREEN CARD REQUIRED
(Note: This is due to U.S. export regulations, and we are unable to make exceptions.)
Four billion people do not have access to the internet. Astranis is going to change that. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost telecommunications satellites to bring the world online.
Come work with incredibly smart people who have flown things in space before. No prior space experience needed, you just need to enjoy getting your hands dirty with real hardware and be okay with struggling to do things that seem impossibly hard.
We’re a well-funded team of over 100 world-class engineers that move fast. We raised our Series B ($90M) from Andreessen Horowitz and Venrock, launched our first satellite in 2018, secured our first major customer deal in 2019, and we’ll triple the satellite internet capacity of Alaska in 2021.
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
- Work with the Guidance, Navigation, and Control team to design, build, test, and operate satellite hardware and software
- System design including make/buy trades, component selection, system sizing, and pointing budgets
- Hardware development including managing internal component build, external vendors, and subassembly bring-up and testing
- Software development including simulation framework, environmental models, and flight algorithms
- Validation and verification through software simulation, Monte Carlo analysis, and hardware in the loop testing
- Integration and test support
- Concept of operations development, mission planning, and flight operation support
- Bachelor of Science degree in a technical discipline (e.g. engineering, CS, physics) with a focus on control systems, orbital mechanics, or similar
- 5+ years industry experience working with Guidance, Navigation, and Control systems
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing, and testing control systems
- Familiarity with processing sensor data and with sensor fusion techniques (e.g. extended Kalman filters)
- Demonstrated experience in developing 6-DOF simulations
- A passion for hardware development, including working in a fast-paced environment and doing hands-on design/development
- Demonstrated ability to personally design, build, and test hardware and/or software from scratch
- Don't meet them all? Not a problem. Please apply even if you do not meet all these criteria.
- Experience implementing algorithms for embedded systems in C++ or similar
- Experience with NumPy, SciPy
- Experience with spacecraft control systems
- Experience with low thrust trajectories
- Experience with geostationary spacecraft operations
- Experience with spacecraft propulsion
- Experience with hardware in the loop simulation