Intern — Communications/DSP Engineer (Winter/Spring 2021)
San Francisco, CA
U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR GREEN CARD REQUIRED
(Note: This is due to U.S. export regulations, and we are unable to make exceptions.)
Four billion people do not have access to the internet. Astranis is going to change that. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost telecommunications satellites to bring the world online.
Come work with incredibly smart people who have flown things in space before. No prior space experience needed, you just need to enjoy getting your hands dirty with real hardware and be okay with struggling to do things that seem impossibly hard.
We’re a well-funded team of over 100 world-class engineers that move fast. We raised our Series B ($90M) from Andreessen Horowitz and Venrock, launched our first satellite in 2018, secured our first major customer deal in 2019, and we’ll triple the satellite internet capacity of Alaska in 2021.
Our mission and our products are meant to connect the world and everyone in it, regardless of gender, race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
- Design signal processing for custom software defined radio hardware (ex. channelization, equalization, PA linearization, gain control, carrier synchronization, symbol mapping, framing, channel coding/FEC, etc)
- Work closely with FPGA developers to implement and test the signal processing on radio hardware
- Model the end-to-end radio system from earth to space, and back.
- Drive radio architecture trade studies, run link budgets, optimize the radio system for maximum performance for dozens of markets and use cases around the world
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering or equivalent
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment and constantly learning
- Strong fundamentals in "signals and systems" (basic transforms, filters, aliasing, analysis in both continuous and discrete domains, interpolation, decimation, etc)
- Strong fundamentals in digital communications (modulation, coding, synchronization, fading, doppler, multiple access, channel capacity, etc)
- Familiar with software development (some experience writing software for DSP, MCU, and/or FPGA, experience in one or more scripting languages)
- Familiar with analog concepts (amplifiers, analog filters, gain and delay variation, reflections, compression, etc)
- Experience working with signal generator, signal analyzer, network analyzer, oscilloscope, etc
- US Citizenship or Green Card
- Experience with software defined radios
- Experience with Python
- Experience with GNU Radio
- Experience with FPGA development (and/or embedded C)