Associate Director/ Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Cambridge, MA /
Chemical Sciences /
Atavistik Bio is a new, privately-held biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel therapies for metabolic diseases and cancer. Our high-throughput platform for the unbiased identification of metabolite-protein interactions will enable the discovery of first-in-class drugs inspired and empowered by nature’s own mechanisms of allosteric control. Our unique approach marries this validated platform with structure-aided drug design capabilities and cutting-edge insights into the regulation of metabolic systems to apply to genetically validated targets.
We are looking for a talented and self-driven individual with a strong background in medicinal chemistry to join Atavistik’s Discovery group. This individual will assume a leading role in shaping the growing medicinal chemistry organization, drive innovation internally and externally, and ensure project goals are delivered on time. The individual will play a central role in collaborating with both internal and CRO researchers in enabling new projects for drug discovery at Atavistik. Successful candidates will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be passionate about science. This individual will report directly to the Head of Chemistry.
- Creative thinker to design and implement medicinal chemistry and drug discovery strategies for novel small molecule projects from Hit finding to IND-enabling studies
- Leadership: Provide scientific and strategic leadership to drive progression of drug discovery projects from screening to development candidate. Lead multi-disciplinary teams, utilizing cross-functional data to drive drug discovery strategies in a matrix organization environment.
- Coordinate and manage external partners effectively to ensure project goals are achieved. Pro-actively solve problems and address synthetic challenges
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in biochemistry, biology, molecular pharmacology, etc. to drive programs to key go/no go decisions
- Proactively communicate strategic objectives to team members and determine project scope and budgets.
- Contribute to intellectual property strategies and contribute to the drafting of patent applications
- Present scientific results internally (or externally) in a concise and effective manner, including scientific challenges, and strategy development to address any issues
- Build and foster an inclusive work environment including managing direct reports
- Doctoral degree (PhD) or equivalent in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry
- >10 years of experience in a pharmaceutical industry/biotech in the field of small molecule drug design with a proven record of leading projects towards clinical candidates, managing a chemistry team including CRO chemists
- Advanced knowledge and expertise of modern synthetic methods, advanced principles of medicinal chemistry and protein-ligand interactions, including structure-based drug discovery (SBDD), and experience in partnering with computational chemists, pharmacologists, DMPK, toxicologists to drive program deliverables
- Track record of innovation and impact on programs as evidenced by patent inventorship and authorship of peer-reviewed publications
- Deep understanding of the patent process and the ability to draft technical patent applications independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to present results in a concise and clear way to audiences of diverse scientific and business backgrounds
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and desire to succeed in a fast-paced organization
For immediate consideration please share your CV complete with a full list of publications.
Atavistik Bio offers competitive compensation, including stock options, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and a flexible spending account for dependent care.
Atavistik Bio is proud to be an inclusive employer and all individuals seeking employment with us are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.