Intermediate Back-End Developer
Headquartered in Calgary, AB /
Engineering – Back-End Team /
Permanent, Full Time
Athennian is the first cloud-based legal entity and corporate records management platform. By integrating modern technologies such as document automation, eSign, virtual minute books, and direct e-file integrations with corporate registries, Athennian is being adopted rapidly by both law firms and corporate customers. Come build the future of corporate services with us and give paralegals super powers along the way!
If the words “fast” and “data” put a sparkle in your eye, you’re in the right place. Like most industries, how to bring together disconnected and detached data for desirable business outcomes is the name of the game. You can be a part of it as you work with us to transform ad hoc data into powerful normalized sets that are critical for maintaining corporate compliance, managing governance and analyzing corporate ownership.
This position is open to remote work options in the following time zones: ET, CT, MT, and PT.
- You are able to produce extensible, modular, performant and maintainable code independently
- You are comfortable with a language suitable for backend development (NodeJS)
- You are comfortable querying databases and performing aggregations (MongoDB, SQL)
- You have experience building and using APIs (GraphQL, REST)
- You are comfortable interpreting and sketching conceptual data models (ERDs)
- You are at home working in a Linux shell and writing simple bash scripts
- Build solutions to move, store, recall and transform data throughout the application without loss
- Create, maintain and improve repeatable systems for onboarding large amounts of data rapidly from a variety of sources
- Extract maximum value from legacy data to achieve compatibility with the application
- Produce reports to answer data-related questions from teams throughout the company
- Suggest new technologies, algorithms, and methodologies to move solutions forward
- Collaborate with our delivery team to optimize the experience for new customers
- Advise our product team with insights you discover through data analysis
- Manage your time and workload to achieve outcomes for scheduled events
- Study the industry and become familiar with how companies are built and how they keep up with regulatory requirements in many jurisdictions
- Understand and stay informed of the outcomes Athennian is built to deliver
- Collaborate closely with team members in an agile environment
- Assist in mentoring junior developers and sharing your experiences with the team
- Take the lead on projects as needed
- You know how to exit from Vim
- You are familiar with Object Oriented programming
- You know how to use TypeScript and why you should
- You are familiar with AWS services such as EC2 and S3
We believe incredible teams can solve any problem and we strive to be an inclusive workplace where ideas thrive. We are first and foremost an organization of people who are passionate about learning, building, and sharing software to transform the legal industry. Our team members thrive when they’re passionate about what they do. We strive to create an engaging environment with challenging tasks, foster meaningful relationships with colleagues, and encourage each other to become the best we can be. Whether you want to customize your workspace, share your latest hobby with the team, or broaden your horizons with a specific project, we have a wealth of opportunities to keep you growing and learning. We’re here to help you become the best version of yourself, all while having fun and connecting with coworkers.
Diligent Builder: Ability to design and build scalable systems
Focused Creative: Strategic mind with a solution first attitude and uses data to navigate the next steps
Ambitious Learner: Eager to take on new challenges and present innovative solutions
Benefits at Athennian
We offer competitive benefits and perks because we believe that happy people produce great results. We are always adding to this list based on employee feedback: generous vacation/sick/flex days, remote work options, flexible working hours, health/dental/vision/group life/gRRSP/LTD/AD&D/EFAP benefits after 90 days, high growth environment, teambuilding, day-to-day variety (never a dull moment), MacBook for all employees, stock options, and a culture of transparency.