Front End Geospatial Engineer
Palo Alto /
Engineering – Engineering /
Atlas AI generates actionable intelligence on agricultural and economic trends across emerging markets. Spun out of Stanford and founded in partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation, we are a well funded AI start-up focused on social impact. This is a rare opportunity to have a significant impact on the evolution of the company. You will be part of a big mission and a small team contributing to global sustainable development.
As our Front End Geospatial Engineer, you’ll be working quite closely with our designer in order to build out the right experiences for our end users. You’ll be part of a small team working in conjunction with back end engineers in order to serve meaningful content in an efficient manner. Our audience is normally in emerging markets, so we have to develop things with intermittent internet connectivity and lower compute resources at the client side in mind.
Please provide a link to your online portfolio in your CV.
- Tactical Stuff:
- Design intuitive visualization and interaction tools to help our customers make better decisions from spatial and non-spatial data
- Deploy and manage web apps using Google Cloud and Firebase
- Create solutions for delivering information in offline or low-bandwidth situations
- Manage databases with different types of spatial and non-spatial data
- Be flexible to work on marketing collateral occasionally
- Philosophical Stuff:
- Have the ability to take incredibly complex information and workflows to effectively communicate the right things at the right time to our customers
- You care about the details, but knows where to stop with the right level of effort
- You’re open minded to best extrapolate shared patterns and behaviors
- Have 5+ years relevant full stack experience at a product-led company (while this is a Front End role, you might need to jump into the backend occasionally)
- Understanding of modern front-end frameworks
- Experience with Leaflet, Mapbox, Carto, Google Earth Engine or OpenLayers
- Managing site/app traffic and performance
- Self-starter comfortable working independently and in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Experience with web and mobile web
- Analyzing and visualizing cloud optimized GeoTiffs
- Experience working in an emerging market or developing nation
- Some experience with iOS and Android
What you can expect from the Hiring Manager
- They will do their best to provide structure and clear goals, but a lot of day-to-day efforts at Atlas will require a certain degree of autonomy
- They will ensure that you’ll be able to have conversations with users/partners/customers to accomplish your duties
- They will support your intention to grow as a professional and as a person
- They will be empathetic and considerate of personal/family situations that affect your work schedule
Our office is in downtown Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, right in the middle of our ecosystem. We offer a casual and inclusive working environment, competitive compensation and great benefits. We are a “people first” company and it shows.