Back End Geospatial Engineer
Palo Alto /
Engineering – Engineering /
Atlas AI generates actionable intelligence on agricultural and economic trends across emerging markets. Spun out of Stanford and founded in partnership with the Rockefeller Foundation, we are a well funded AI start-up focused on social impact. This is a rare opportunity to have a significant impact on the evolution of the company. You will be part of a big mission and a small team contributing to global sustainable development.
As our Back End Geospatial Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the build out and maintenance of our data processing and delivery pipeline. You’ll be part of a small team working in conjunction with front end engineers to help serve tile services, metadata, and a variety of other information (geospatial and not) to our end users.
Please provide a link to your github repo in your CV.
- Tactical Stuff:
- Deploy and manage back end infrastructure using Google Cloud and Firebase
- Build and design scalable systems to collect and represent data from a range of external sources.
- Manage databases with different types of spatial and non-spatial data
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Philosophical Stuff:
- You focus on designing architectures to solve core problems, not just because it is the latest trend
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- You are empathetic to a less technical audience when explaining a complicated problem so we can all make a better decision
- Have 5+ years relevant full stack experience at a product-led company
- Analyzing and visualizing cloud optimized GeoTiffs
- Experience with geospatial libraries (GDAL, Rasterio, etc)
- Understanding of modern backend cloud infrastructure (BigTable, Cloud Functions, CDNs, etc)
- CI/CD knowledge in a backend platform workflow
- Experience with building distributed computing infrastructure flexible for both on-demand and batch processing
- Managing site/app traffic and performance
- Self-starter comfortable working independently and in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment
- Experience with web and mobile web
- Experience working in an emerging market or developing nation
- Some experience with iOS and Android
What you can expect from the Hiring Manager
- They will do their best to provide structure and clear goals, but a lot of day-to-day efforts at Atlas will require a certain degree of autonomy
- They will ensure that you’ll be able to have conversations with users/partners/customers to accomplish your duties
- They will support your intention to grow as a professional and as a person
- They will be empathetic and considerate of personal/family situations that affect your work schedule
Our office is in downtown Palo Alto in the heart of Silicon Valley, right in the middle of our ecosystem. We offer a casual and inclusive working environment, competitive compensation and great benefits. We are a “people first” company and it shows.