The trucking and logistics industry provides the backbone of the economy. But the payments infrastructure on which it runs is broken. For the hard-working men and women of this sector, the existing suite of payment tools is outdated, difficult to use, prone to fraud, and saddled with shady fee structures. The incumbent players in this space often overlook the economic and practical needs of this user base.
We're changing that. AtoB is building Stripe for Transportation — modernizing the payments infrastructure for trucking and logistics. Supply chains rely on the timely movement of capital to function efficiently. Our end game is a world in which that capital movement occurs fairly, smoothly, and without delay. As we pursue that end game, we aim to center our customers in every way — offering them world-class customer experience and building products that work with and around the unique constraints of their daily lives. We build for fleet managers in the office and drivers on the road. We strive for products that are efficient, satisfying, and useful. Our customers enable our modern economy — they deserve it.
Our history and background
Our founding team has backgrounds working on autonomous vehicles at Cruise Automation, leading ops and growth for Uber, engineering at Amazon, building apps that were featured on the Apple app store, working on small business credit at Square & Goldman Sachs, and completing other great projects.
We have raised over $100 million in venture capital from investors such as General Catalyst, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator; founders and CEOs of companies like Google (Eric Schmidt), Salesforce (Marc Benioff), Coinbase, DoorDash, Instacart, Mozilla, Wealthfront, Segment, Gusto, Figma; CxOs and founding team members of Uber, PayPal and Stripe; angels like Elad Gil, Naval Ravikant, Gokul Rajaram; and other funds such as Climate Capital, Contrary Capital, Collaborative Fund, Designer Fund, Human Capital, Leadout, XYZ Capital, among others.
We are excited to open up more seats in this rocket ship!
Learn more about our mission, culture, and background on our Careers Page.
About the Role:
We are looking for a customer-centric staff level Data Scientist to join our team.
You will help solve some of AtoB's most challenging business goals, through high-profile work and inspiring thought leadership. You'll get to flex your statistical and machine learning models skills to tackle problems like risk estimation and optimization, anomaly detection, and experimentation design and analysis for new algorithm/feature/product launches. You'll work with leadership and multi-functional partners to solve broader data science problems, create data science vision, and guide the team's direction through data-driven insights and algorithmic thinking.
In this role, you will:
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimization, and work with engineering/product to productionize those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Drive clarity and solve ambiguous, challenging business problems using data-driven approaches.
- Work closely with multi-functional leads to develop technical vision and drive the team direction.
- Propose and guide the framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions. Establish standard methodologies for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation.
- Provide technical mentorship for engineers and junior data scientists within and outside your team.
- Communicate with senior management and multi-functional teams.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields. Alternatively, a BS with 2 or more years of experience in relevant fields.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), causal inference.
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
- Experience in ML tooling such as Airflow, Spark, etc.
- Coding proficiency, and ability to develop statistical analysis and prototype algorithms in Python.
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, Spark.
- Preferred: Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Preferred: Deep understanding of Bayesian modeling
- Bay Area compensation offered for all US and Canadian based employees.
- We are a remote-first company, though we are open to US and Canada work visa sponsorship.
- We offer competitive and comprehensive benefits along with unlimited PTO and 401(K) match.