Engineering Lead, Risk & Fraud
The trucking and logistics industry provides the backbone of the economy. But the payments infrastructure on which it runs is broken. For the hard-working men and women of this sector, the existing suite of payment tools is outdated, difficult to use, prone to fraud, and saddled with shady fee structures. The incumbent players in this space often overlook the economic and practical needs of this user base.
We're changing that. AtoB is building Stripe for Transportation — modernizing the payments infrastructure for trucking and logistics. Supply chains rely on the timely movement of capital to function efficiently. Our end game is a world in which that capital movement occurs fairly, smoothly, and without delay. As we pursue that end game, we aim to center our customers in every way — offering them world-class customer experience and building products that work with and around the unique constraints of their daily lives. We build for fleet managers in the office and drivers on the road. We strive for products that are efficient, satisfying, and useful. Our customers enable our modern economy — they deserve it.
Our history and background
Our founding team has backgrounds working on autonomous vehicles at Cruise Automation, leading ops and growth for Uber, engineering at Amazon, building apps that were featured on the Apple app store, working on small business credit at Square & Goldman Sachs, and completing other great projects.
We have raised over $100 million in venture capital from investors such as General Catalyst, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator; founders and CEOs of companies like Google (Eric Schmidt), Salesforce (Marc Benioff), Coinbase, DoorDash, Instacart, Mozilla, Wealthfront, Segment, Gusto, Figma; CxOs and founding team members of Uber, PayPal and Stripe; angels like Elad Gil, Naval Ravikant, Gokul Rajaram; and other funds such as Climate Capital, Contrary Capital, Collaborative Fund, Designer Fund, Human Capital, Leadout, XYZ Capital, among others.
We are excited to open up more seats in this rocket ship!
Our engineering team, currently comprising ~15 full-time individual contributors, is resourceful, curious, thoughtful, and hard-working. We’ve made amazing progress and have seen stellar growth in a short period of time, and now seek an experienced risk engineering lead to help structure our team and propel us forward.
The Risk team is responsible for bringing sustainability to AtoB's hockey-stick growth. The team is involved in important stages of each product – underwriting new applications, approving or declining each charge at low latency, and more. We're looking for an engineering leader to take on a variety of business-critical challenges in this role. You'll build a team of world-class ML and software engineers, work closely with BizOps to ensure we're taking on an appropriate level of risk, and drive a technical roadmap to ensure we're responding to charge requests in sub 2-second latency.
The team you’ll work with:
- A former Tinder ML engineer who built a collaborative filtering pipeline to produce weekly personalized recommendations for all Tinder users — and who was captain and shooting guard of the Caltech basketball team.
- A former robotics infrastructure engineer who helps a non-profit wireless ISP provide Internet to underserved communities.
- An aspiring classicist who built software to track and prevent espionage on a major social network.
- A life-long bowler (eight perfect games!) who built a record filtering system that, with a single line, could add filters to any given model (with immediate availability on the frontend UI).
- A devoted mom to two guinea pigs who, when she was 16, built a product that was featured on the Apple App Store and then acquired.
- The founder of a drone-based, real-time thermal imaging platform for wildfire mitigation operations as well as one of the first co-working spaces in the Southern Sierra Nevadas.
- An aspiring game developer and MMA fighter (keyword: aspiring) who, in our early days, stood up a demo API from scratch for a next-day customer call.
- A former autonomous vehicles engineer who also helped build the lightest planetary rover with NASA.
In this role, you will:
- Define and lead the technical roadmap for risk engineering at AtoB.
- Introduce processes and team structure to ensure every member of your org is doing their best work.
- Ensure we are making the right tradeoffs between moving fast and holding a high quality bar.
- Help drive sound technical decision-making within risk and lead technical conversations with other teams.
- Partner closely with BizOps, Sales, and functions within AtoB.
- Build a world-class engineering team.
- Have previously been in a Technical Leadership or Staff/Principal Engineering role.
- Has experience building machine learning systems to assess risk and detect fraud at a large scale.
- Have a track record of developing seniors ICs and engineering leaders.
- Are comfortable in working in ambiguously defined problem spaces.
- Are skilled in working across engineering teams and other functions in building alignment, driving decision making, and communicating transparently.
- Have experience in driving and executing complex initiatives that deliver critical impact to the business.
- Bay Area compensation offered for all US and Canadian based employees.
- We are a remote-first company, though we are open to US and Canada work visa sponsorship.
- We offer competitive and comprehensive benefits along with unlimited PTO and 401(K) match.