Director of Software Engineering
Berkeley, CA /
Software Engineering /
Quantum computing is expected to enable huge leaps in scientific discovery and economic growth in the 21st century, similar to what classical computing has made possible over the past 50 years. At Atom Computing, we are developing quantum computers based on optically trapped neutral atoms. Join an incredible team of physicists and engineers in a growing start-up company focused on one mission: deliver the most scalable quantum computers that can solve some of the most daunting computational problems ever attempted by man or machine.
Atom Computing is looking for an experienced Director of Software Engineering to grow and manage our software engineering team and lead all aspects of our software stack development. Our quantum computing system requires a significant amount of software such as: drivers to control hardware devices such as lasers, motors, and cameras; an operating system responsible for managing system resources and scheduling jobs; developer platform and user interfaces for scientists, researchers, engineers, and third-party companies to program quantum algorithms and applications for a broad range of use cases.
This is a high-impact role that will be involved in many different areas of the company. You will be part of the executive staff reporting to the CEO. The ideal candidate will be motivated and ready to get his/her/their hands dirty building a quantum computer. While software development and people management experiences are a must, extensive experience in quantum physics is not necessary as long as you are willing to learn on the job.
- Attract and hire top software engineering talent
- Lead and mentor our software engineering team to perform at their best
- Collaborate with other team leads and physicists to understand software requirements
- Manage the software project roadmap and development schedules
- Drive high-quality software delivery for the quantum computer
- Provide timely code reviews in Gitlab
- Provide timely feedback in scope reviews
- Assist in the definition, development, and rollout of new features
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Physics, or a related field 7+ years of relevant professional experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years managing a team of software engineers, including hiring and coaching
- Proficiency in at least one programming language such as Python or C++
- Experience in database programming and management (e.g.,Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis)
- Temperamentally suited to work at a fast-growing, early stage startup: self-motivated, humble, driven, collaborative, and having a high tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty
- Familiarity with Git, testing, software development best practices
- Excitement to learn quantum information concepts. A person with a winning attitude who thrives on leading successful teams