Chief of Staff, Construction
Remote - US /
Homebound’s mission is to create a better way to build homes leveraging technology, and we’re already delivering on that mission in places that need it the most: communities impacted by devastating wildfires.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound will transform the single-family home market, and rebuild communities along the way.
We are already helping over 150 homeowners in Northern and Southern California, and The Bahamas. With backing from Thrive Capital, Forerunner, Khosla Ventures, Google Ventures, and Fifth Wall, we are ready to scale to help many more. Join us on that mission!
We believe that building a custom home should feel simple, transparent, and human, which is a dramatic departure from the traditional experience today. In order to achieve our vision, we need to not only execute on building our custom homes, but do so thoughtfully and with technology in a way that is unprecedented in our industry. Our challenge is to take what feels impossibly complex, and make it feel possible. To empower homeowners with the information they need to feel at ease with the homebuilding process. And, to transform typical triggers of stress and fear into opportunities to earn their trust while demonstrating that we have our homeowners’ backs at every step of their journey.
A critical member of our construction organization is the Chief of Staff for Construction. Reporting directly to Homebound’s Head of Construction Operations, this person works across teams to refine, uplevel, and align the construction processes within the Homebound Operating Model. S/he coordinates with members of adjacent functional teams and local market leaders to measure performance, provide process clarity, document/incorporate continuous improvement opportunities, and ensure that clear lines of communication are maintained. The Chief of Staff provides thought partnership and direct support to the Head of Construction Operations in developing, monitoring, and reporting on business process improvement initiatives, performance management metrics, and training program effectiveness.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as Homebound's first Chief of Staff — play a role in every aspect of building homes and delivering on Homebound’s promises.
- While you will engage across a broad surface area, specific ownership areas include:
- Strategize on and help operationalize the Homebound Operating Model, which utilizes a combination of construction know-how, procurement strategy, and proprietary technology to enable Homebound to build better in every measurable category.
- Work in a cross-team/cross-functional manner while providing a trusted voice for Construction Operations to other functional teams and initiative stakeholders.
- Maintain the current-state process map. Provide task and workflow analysis and end-to-end process mapping.
- Apply critical thinking to synthesize analysis findings and determine performance gaps, capacity gaps, organizational structure gaps, obstacles, workarounds, best practices, and benchmarks for the Construction Operations Team.
- Identify areas of tactical improvement that make our processes more scalable.
- Develop meaningful metrics and a measurement system to baseline current performance and measure quantifiable improvement.
- Clearly and succinctly explain and present performance-related data and trends to stakeholders.
- Use lead and lag indicators to identify, characterize, and troubleshoot Construction Operations business processes while unlocking actionable performance insights.
- Operationalize and manage delivery of the Construction Operations professional development program for Project Managers and Superintendents.
- Serve as the Construction Operations performance manager and synthesize upward feedback from all team members to proactively identify specific needs to the Head of Construction Operations.
- You have the delegated authority to work directly with Heads of Construction to ensure they understand metric parameters, measurements of performance, and how their teams can improve performance. Responsibility for performance improvement will rest with the Head of Construction Operations, who will be informed by your analyses.
- Participate, as necessary, in project and tech product reviews, giving and receiving feedback with an open, supportive, and growth-oriented mindset.
- Relay information on technology updates and features to Construction Operations Team Members.
- Help advance adoption of new platform features and report on blockers to feature adoption.
- Share any feedback with the technology team that enhances product effectiveness.
Assist the Head of Construction Operations with the development and implementation of strategic initiatives:
Gather data and conduct analyses on Homebound’s Construction Operations processes:
Partner with Homebound’s local market Heads of Construction to ensure their Teams and projects are aligned with Homebound’s goals:
Ensure that our proprietary software platform is being built with a focus on Construction Operations process efficiency improvement:
What You Have:
- You’ve had 2-4+ years of experience at a top-tier consulting firm, a fast-growth startup, and/or high-level operational experience at a home building business.
- You have demonstrated flexibility, bias towards action, and the ability to roll up your sleeves to get work done in a challenging, changing, and often undefined environment.
- You are comfortable working cross-functionally and with many stakeholders.
- You have documented and communicated complex issues and processes verbally, in writing, and through visual means.
- You can articulate examples of consensus-building efforts among stakeholders and the impact that had on your goals.
Who You Are:
- Good-natured, humble, energetic, humble, optimistic, and humble.
- Willing to put the team first, and you don’t seek personal glory or accolades above all else.
- A team player that has experience with and enjoys working with a broad range of colleagues, across functions and levels of management.
- Empathetic towards our customers and fiercely protective of the customer experience.
- Okay with a “startup mentality” - being flexible, impact-oriented, and energized about high velocity output is a way of life for you.
- Have a high-bar for producing a quality work product at all times.
- You don’t just execute - you push to deeply understand goals and ensure your work achieves, or even improves upon, these goals.
- Relentlessly resourceful. You look for solutions instead of problems.
- Believe in extreme ownership with a bias towards action.
- Organized and able to manage your own workload without relying on a producer.
- Excited to grow with a fast-moving organization with opportunities for increasing leadership as time goes on.
Other Important Skills:
- Experience in a fast-growing startup environment is a plus, but so is deep home building operational experience and a willingness to participate in out-of-the-box thinking.
- Comfortable with technology.
- Ability to change your mind.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving with an eye for detail and data analysis.
- Comfort with spreadsheets, data analysis tools, and all standard business software.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.
Please review our CCPA policies here.