Procurement Lead - Construction Operations
Remote - US /
Homebound’s mission is to improve the way homeowners build custom homes, especially in areas that need it the most: communities impacted by devastating wildfires.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound will transform the single-family home market, and rebuild communities along the way using technology to streamline the process. The Homebound team includes in-house home advocates, designers, architects, insurance experts, legal counsel, construction managers and developers — all of whom came together to rebuild their communities and improve custom homebuilding as a whole.
We are already helping dozens of homeowners in California and Bahamas, and we are ready to scale to help hundreds more. Join us.
The Procurement Lead will ensure Homebound's labor and material resources are utilized efficiently across all markets to support our ability to deliver high quality homes on-time and on-budget with expanding margins as we scale. In this role you will lead a team of Estimators and Purchasing Agents who utilize the best available technologies and techniques to build estimates, bid and contract for the highest-quality and best-value labor and materials available.
- Supervise and provide training to new and existing Estimators and Purchasing Agents to ensure they are proficient in their daily tasks
- Establish performance metrics for Estimators and Purchasing Agents and install processes that will allow for managing to those metrics
- Ensure consistency and alignment across all phases of a project’s estimation-procurement lifecycle to expedite the handoff process and to enable variance analyses and reporting on project evolution
- Prepare and execute Master Trade Agreements (MTA), supervise execution of all Purchase Orders, Change Orders, and Project Trade Agreements
- Confirm all project costs are hard-bid or have negotiated contract prices behind them
- Contribute to a library of Homebound scopes of work, unit pricing for materials and labor, and documents relating to trade and supplier contract management
- Ensure project RFPs contain accurate scopes of work, inclusions, exclusions, completion timing expectations, and that they are being distributed and managed through the Homebound tech platform
- Negotiate prices, terms, delivery time frames, and award contracts in coordination with the Project Management team
- Supervise preparation and processing of contract and obligating documents
- Participate in project budget review meetings with local Heads of Construction prior to final budget presentation to clients
- Advise Estimating team as they provide budget price ranges for new clients in the Preconstruction Phase
- Manage capacity plan to ensure the Estimating and Purchasing teams can support the Homebound pipeline of work
- Support the Director of Procurement and the Homebound Network Manager in identifying gaps in the Homebound Network’s capabilities to make sure there are sufficient resources to apply to projects in our pipeline
- Assist in recruiting new qualified trade partners, suppliers, and consultants to the Homebound Network while maintaining and improving relationships with existing members
- Monitor Trade and Supplier utilization, manage their performance evaluation process, review and communicate their performance, and resolve performance issues
- Review take offs/quantity surveys and lead maintenance of cost database to inform timely, accurate estimates
- At least 5 years of Procurement experience in Custom Homebuilding and/or Production Homebuilding environments
- Adept at reading and interpreting blueprints, plans, specifications, geotechnical reports, and other technical documents to extract critical information and identify cost drivers
- Understanding of the typical estimating process including takeoffs and making (and documenting) assumptions to facilitate estimates
- Understanding of the typical bidding processes including development of scopes of work, RFPs, bid-leveling, and budget formulation
- Possess a “big picture” mindset, with the ability to visualize project phases and completion to help optimize bids for profitability
- Demonstrated ability to work across teams, including Growth,, Construction Operations, and Finance to solve critical business problems
- Experience taking ambiguous problems and turning them into concrete solutions
- Skilled at using data to inform decision making
- Ability to measure results of project cost accounting and make solid recommendations for improvements to bidding and project cost accounting processes
- Analytical, problem-solving, organizational, presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills
Who You Are:
- You are an engaging, detail oriented, self-motivated, results-focused professional committed to providing a quality customer experience
- You have the ability to motivate and lead others and provide a positive and productive work environment in a fast-paced workplace
- Excellence in zero-to-one environments with outsized levels of responsibility
- Integrity that matches with our core values and will enhance our culture
- Ability to contribute to the strong psychological safety of a high output team
- Strong growth-mindset with a healthy dose of skepticism
- Continuous optimizer who is always looking for ways to make things better, faster, more efficient
- Flexible and excited to work on whatever will drive biggest immediate results against what the company currently needs
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role,
but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any
other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified
applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please review our CCPA policies here.