Remote/Western US /
Homebound’s mission is to create a better way to build a home leveraging technology, and we’re already delivering on that mission in places that need it the most: communities impacted by devastating wildfires.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound will transform the single-family home market, and rebuild communities along the way.
We are already helping dozens of homeowners across California, and with backing from Thrive Capital, Khosla Ventures and Google Ventures, we are ready to scale to help hundreds more. Join us.
We are looking for a West Coast-based custom home estimator to assist our purchasing department with pricing single family residential projects throughout the United States. The ideal candidate will have excellent numerical skills and an analytical mindset, and is eager to contribute to the development of a fast-paced, technology-driven construction company. This is an exceptional opportunity for a professional estimator looking to work within a highly talented construction operations group.
- Develop and refine pricing models for a new homebuilding model
- Perform 5+ estimates per week to start, to support PMs and Sales team
- Support our design team with pricing updates during pre construction process
- Help improve estimating deliverables with the use of new methods and technologies
- 10+ years of experience working as an estimator/project manager with at least 5+ years of experience in an estimating capacity
- Experience in performing all related estimating activities; perform quantity take-offs, cost estimates, determine value-engineering, establish conceptual estimates, develop scopes of work, budgets and interact with clients on custom single family residential projects throughout the United States
- Experience and comfort with a range of estimating software platforms and approaches; adaptable and flexible across a variety of different tools
- Competency with Planswift and other takeoff software
- Accurately predict and advise on structural and civil requirements from conceptual plans
- Identify and communicate potential value engineering items, and advise on risks
- Compile and organize historical data to create and maintain historical pricing
- Review jobs at close to identify causation of variances from budget to actual
- Maintain records of progress estimates from conceptual to final
- Demonstrate technical writing skill commensurate with trade knowledge to develop detailed scopes of work, plan clarifications, requests for proposal, and to communicate requests for information to clients, architects and engineers
- Expertise in unit costs and the use of resources to establish unit costs (particularly in California)
- Certified as a Professional Estimator (CPE) (desired, but not required)
What You Know:
- That collaborating is an important aspect of estimating How to build a home from the ground up
- How to estimate Site Development costs
- The importance of accurate scopes of work for all trades
Who You Are:
- A team player who believes in company culture first
- Logical and measured, with an analytical mindset and a relentless focus on accurate results
- A takeoff expert who is data-driven and technologically-inclined
- A continuous optimizer; always looking for ways to make estimating better, faster, more efficient
- A flexible self-starter with the ability to adapt quickly to different estimating methods, product types, and rapidly-changing business requirements
- One who excels in a startup environment by staying exceptionally organized, not being afraid to take initiative, and willing to jump in and help wherever needed
What Success Looks Like in 6 Months:
- You fully understand Homebound’s estimating methods and philosophy
- You are helping to build out and maintain our cost database to improve visibility into unit pricing
- You have the ability to prioritize work based on product type and delivery schedules
- You are able to working seamlessly across all Homebound departments to provide timely deliverables
- You have completed 50+ estimates of varying types
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role,
but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any
other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified
applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please review our CCPA policies here.