Head of Construction
Los Angeles, CA
Homebound’s mission is to create a better way to build a home leveraging technology, and we’re already delivering on that mission on places that need it the most: communities impacted by devastating wildfires.
With a better labor model, a more efficient building process, and a delightful homeowner experience, Homebound will transform the single family home market, and rebuild communities along the way.
We are already helping dozens of homeowners in Sonoma, Napa, Ventura and Los Angeles counties, and are rapidly expanding to new markets. Join us.
We are looking for a talented Head of Construction to help manage dozens (and eventually hundreds) of custom home builds in Malibu and Los Angeles county.
This person will be a critical member of the construction team, developing our approach to managing construction projects as we scale.
They will help drive our construction process, and deliver projects on-time and on-budget in partnership with their team of Area Managers to manage contractors on site, as well as Homeowner Concierges who manage customer relationships. The Head of Construction will be accountable for keeping projects on schedule, and resolving issues along the way, and they will work with our VP Construction and technology teams to develop repeatable processes using technology to enable more efficient construction as we scale.
- Manage project lifecycle for Homebound homeowners, including ensuring that we deliver on-budget and on-time for customers, removing roadblocks along the way and finding opportunities to accelerate projects where possible
- Partner with our VP Construction to envision and create an industry-leading construction function in Malibu to support Homebound’s rapidly growing base of homeowners
- Oversee all Homebound 3rd party contractors - recruit into our network, vet their work, pair them with clients based on project need/fit
- Build team as needed to support company scaling - concierges, area managers, construction coordinators, etc.
What you have done in your career:
- 15+ years experience managing residential construction projects - combination of custom + production home experience ideal, managing many home builds at once
- Exceptional operational skills, keeping large number of projects running efficiently, and managing teams to hit milestones/goals
- Strong leadership skills + experience recruiting, onboarding and managing a team
- Well-connected in local market, with network of local consultants, architects, engineers + ability to expand network as needed to support large homeowner base
- Experience working with local permitting department, with knowledge of process + ways to accelerate permitting for our homeowners
- Experience managing multiple projects at once for homeowners across a range of price points
- Experience and enthusiasm for using technology (project management software, VR, etc.) in building process
Who you are:
- Forward thinker with the desire to innovate and improve the way that homes are built
- Get sh*t done attitude, tenacious, scrappy and willing to do whatever it takes to meet aggressive timelines and deliver great homes
- Continuous optimizer - always looking for ways to make things better, faster, more efficient, especially with technology
- Flexible, and excited to work on whatever will drive biggest immediate results against what the company currently needs
- Excels in a startup environment by staying organized, not being afraid to take initiative and willing to jump in and help wherever needed
- Willing to tackle the big and the small
What does success look like in 6 months?
- 20+ homes in construction and meeting/beating all milestone deadlines
- 8+ homes ready to be delivered to happy homeowners by the end of 2019
- Successful operational process running smoothly using our technology platform to drive team to execute, keep track of project status, surface issues, and report out to VP Construction and CEO on progress toward goals
- Concierge + Area Managers hired as needed and working effectively with homeowners and builders
- Clear process in place for working with rest of the construction team for purchasing, etc.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.