Sr. Data Engineer
Santa Monica, CA /
At the intersection of technology and entertainment, Atom Tickets' team of dreamers and doers are dedicated to changing the way people go to the movies. Why movies? Because they have the power to bring us together and connect us through shared experiences. We’re driving innovation, accomplishing the unthinkable, and we need passionate talent like you to join our team.
Atom Tickets is a social ticketing platform that has re-imagined the movie experience from the ground up. We’ve simplified everything from when you decide you want to see a movie to when the lights go down and the previews start. We’re a team of bright, driven, and experienced developers, product designers, and movie lovers — we love using data to improve the way our products work and how theaters operate. We’re backed by influential movie studios including Disney, Fox, and Lionsgate, and we’re bringing innovative industry-first features to market such as pre-ordering concessions.
As a data engineer at Atom Tickets, you will be working with a group of highly motivated software developers who thrive on solving challenging problems with innovative solutions. We build large-scale distributed software systems in Scala, Java, Python and other languages. You'll work with virtually all of the functional organizations across the company, responsible for our data warehouse infrastructure. We believe that accomplishing something great requires a special group of people who work hard, drive results and have a blast while doing it — people who challenge the status quo and embody our values. People who say, “I’ll find a way” instead of saying, “it can’t be done.”
Sound interesting? Come and join us!
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and AWS regions.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
You Should Have
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a BS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field. They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
About Atom Tickets
Atom Tickets changes the way people go to the movies with its revolutionary social movie ticketing app and website. Over 20,000 screens across the U.S. (AMC Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, Megaplex Theatres, Showcase Cinemas, etc) use Atom Tickets. The app's socially driven interface allows movie lovers to search for films instantly, invite friends, and buy concessions. Voted 2019 Best Small Companies to Work For in Los Angeles by Built in LA and Certified Great Place To Work 2020 by Great Place To Work.