San Mateo, CA
AtScale bridges the gap between business users and their data.
The average enterprise sits on a mountain of data that business users could use to drive better performance. Unfortunately, most enterprises are not equipped to gain value out of their data: according to Forrester, close to 75% of the data stored within an enterprise goes unused. Enterprises need ways to deliver data to business users with simplicity, speed and security.
Back in 2009 at Yahoo!, AtScale’s founding team experienced this first hand, and witnessed the power and potential of Hadoop. However, we struggled to make the data in Hadoop accessible to the business users who needed it. Tired of moving data into expensive, legacy databases, the AtScale team decided to build what they could not buy.
We think Scala is a beautiful language, wonderful for expressing elegant, maintainable solutions to relationship-driven mathematical problems.
AtScale is looking for a startup-friendly Scala engineer to work on Very Complex Problems™ in a distributed systems environment tended by several folks.
As a Scala Engineer at AtScale, you’ll be responsible for designing, building and maintaining AtScale business intelligence engine systems and features.
We strive to make our interview process effective. We can probably get a bunch out of the way if you have some public Github code, or contributions to open source data oriented software projects we can look at. Our goal is to run the interview cycle and come to a conclusion within a week.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience delivering production quality software
- Experience with business intelligence concepts such as MDX, measures, dimensions and hierarchies
- Advanced knowledge of functional programming, Scala, and JVM-based technologies
- Experience with Hadoop, and Hadoop-ish stuff like Spark.
- Experience with relational database internals, including both query planning & processing
- Ability to optimize for either design or performance, depending on business needs