Technical Support Engineer – East
AtScale bridges the gap between business users and their data.
The average enterprise sits on a mountain of data that business users could use to drive better performance. Unfortunately, most enterprises are not equipped to gain value out of their data: according to Forrester, close to 75% of the data stored within an enterprise goes unused. Enterprises need ways to deliver data to business users with simplicity, speed and security.
Back in 2009 at Yahoo!, AtScale’s founding team experienced this first hand, and witnessed the power and potential of Hadoop. However, we struggled to make the data in Hadoop accessible to the business users who needed it. Tired of moving data into expensive, legacy databases, the AtScale team decided to build what they could not buy.
As a Technical Support Engineer, you will provide top notch support to AtScale customers for diagnosing, reproducing and resolving issues with our solution. You will troubleshoot issues in multiple types of environments, take ownership of issues, and work closely with our support team and engineering in resolving customer issues. To be successful in this role, you must be a motivated self-starter, committed to ongoing self-education, possess strong customer service and communication skills and have excellent technical problem solving skills.
- Resolve customer problems via telephone, email or remote access
- Maintain customer loyalty through integrity and accountability
- Research customer issues in a timely manner and follow up directly with the customer with recommendations and action plans
- Escalate cases to management when customer satisfaction comes into question
- Escalate cases to the engineering team when the problem is beyond the scope of technical support or falls out of the support team’s expertise
- Maintain control and management of the overall resolution for any escalated case, even when cross-functional groups are involved
- Leverage internal technical expertise, including development engineers, knowledge base, and other internal tools to provide the most effective solutions to customer issues
- Create knowledge base content to capture new learning for re-use throughout the company and user base
- Participate in technical communications within the team to share best practices and learn about new technologies and other ecosystem applications
- Participate in the weekend on-call rotation with other Technical Support Engineers
Experience and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Enterprise software support customer facing experience
- Experience with supporting Java applications running on Linux
- Familiarity with JVM, JRE, JDK, garbage collection
- Strong knowledge of networking concepts (TCP/IP, DNS, etc.) and ability to troubleshoot complex networking issues in a Linux environment
- Experience with database or in a big data platform/company a plus
- Knowledge of system administration a plus
- BI tools experience a plus
- A strong desire to perform the support engineer role and to work with customers on a daily basis, document cases properly, create knowledgebase articles and follow team guidelines
- Passionate, enthusiastic, energetic team player
- Understands the need for mentoring and sharing of knowledge
- Commitment to high quality
- Ability to multi-task
- Good verbal and written communication skills and need to able to answer questions directly
- Strong in problem solving and logical thinking
- Ability to quickly learn and pick up new technical concepts