Manager, Systems Engineering
Calgary, Alberta /
MECHATRONICS – Hardware/Mechatronics /
You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. Attabotics is a TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
We are looking for a Manager, Systems Engineering to lead a team responsible for driving a well-defined and evolutionary approach to all system level interfaces. Reporting to the Director, Mechatronics, The Manager, Systems Engineering will support the growth of cross functional teams leading systems engineering support and services within regulatory, safety, drafting and prototyping. The systems engineering group will shape the evolution of the product through interfaces and dependencies, ensuring development teams have clear direction without interdisciplinary blockages.
What we need
- To grow and manage a team of top talent who will:
- Collaborate with Product Management to deconstruct and prioritize requirements in the form of user-stories, into architectural technical-stories that allow cross functional teams to engineer and implement best-fit solutions
- Identify key technical dependencies that will drive alignments across technical solution teams and releases with Product Management
- Provide Product and Engineering leadership with the data needed to support key product direction decisions
- Guide the development teams in designing solutions that meet all relevant standards and achieve regional certification for target markets
- Collaborate across disciplines to develop a system of well-defined interfaces that are the cornerstones for design and validation work
- Combining breadth of understanding with one or more deep areas of expertise, guide the team in identifying and designing robust solutions with system interface sensitivities such as edge cases, stack up issues, system state level dependencies
- Ensure alignment and adherence on both ends of the development to the user and technical requirements, through to the validation of cases prior to releases
- With an evolutionary view of the system identify all ‘affected by’ elements of the system, leveraging in depth knowledge of product and technical pain points to help guide harmonious product improvement
- Identify key gaps in our ‘current state’ product interfaces that create unacceptable engineering compromises, use intelligent redefinition of the interfaces that allow convergence on the optimal solution
- Provide Mechanical, Electronics, Control, and Embedded teams with development systems and resources that enables an efficient and scalable development environment
Who you are
- Strong Technical background of Systems Engineering and problem solving a commercial product with 10+ years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary environment of Electrical, Mechanical and Software
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical and/or Computer Sciences, with a very strong breadth of understanding across these disciplines
- Demonstrated results with at least 5+ years growing and leading a team of technical reports
- Must have experience in a high tech, product development environment, with excellent team leadership, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Able to help others understand and prioritize their work acting as a team enabler, maintaining a high level of drive and enthusiasm for achieving our goals
- Knows what it takes to build support and trust across the organization though clear communication of work and collaboration with peers
- Experience with Agile project management and development processes
- Professional Engineer in good standing as recognized by APEGA
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.
Attabotics is aware of false advertisement of our postings, which may include compensation information. These are fraudulent sites and should not be trusted. For a current listing of all our postings, and the only legitimate location to apply, please visit.