Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Calgary, Alberta /
OPERATIONS – Hardware/Mechatronics /
You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. A TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics has been adopted by major brands including luxury department store Nordstrom, and other retailers across apparel, grocery, food & beverage, and home goods. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
The Manager, Sustaining Engineering, reporting to the Director of Mechatronics, will manage and execute all aspects of Attabotics sustaining engineering activities to deliver innovative solutions that drive the successful implementation and support of our products the field. This role will lead the sustaining mechanical team working on our robotic shuttles and structure platforms as well as the team responsible for driving firmware improvements for our robotic shuttles.
You’ll be responsible for ensuring field support and engineering teams can drive reliability and functional improvements through all phases of the product lifecycle and customer install experiences. With product quality as a focus, you will be responsible for ensuring sustainment teams can identify and execute on engineering solutions to lower operational field failures, meet production overhead targets, as well as first pass test and early life failure targets.
Who you are
- Strong Technical background of problem solving a commercial product with 10+ years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary environment of Electrical, Mechanical and Software
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical and/or Computer Sciences
- Demonstrated results with at least 5+ years growing and leading a team of technical reports
- Must have experience in a high tech, product development environment, with excellent team leadership, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Able to help others understand and prioritize their work acting as a team enabler, maintaining a high level of drive and enthusiasm for achieving our goals
- Knows what it takes to build support and trust across the organization though clear communication of work and collaboration with peers
- Experience with Agile project management and development processes
What we need
- Lead, coach, and mentor a team of firmware and mechanical team members and leads
- Manage sustaining engineering efforts to enable and facilitate the continued manufacture of Attabotics’ products
- Coordinate with Engineering teams to plan and execute on product life cycle, to transition products from NPI into Sustaining
- Ensure sustaining efforts are carried effectively to meet objectives including manufacturability, quality, cost, design control and reliability
- Provide status reports on all KPIs and sustaining project progress through Microsoft DevOps, Excel, PPT and Microsoft Project
- Provide the enabling technical support as design authority to internal customers such as Network Operations Center, Field Ops, Manufacturing and Testing
- Create processes and systems that enable efficient processing of internal customer inputs into required outcomes that are validated through internal testing
- Set and measure ‘output based’ goals to ensure the projects will meet corporate objectives, managing and reporting on risk to the outcomes
- Ability and desire to grow and mentor the team to effectively meet the growing needs and challenges of the sustaining organization
- Manage the team budget and resource planning
- Ensure project documentation is accurate and up to date, working with the Engineering teams to mature the application of project artifacts in line with the evolving development processes
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.