Manager, Embedded (Firmware) Systems - Robotics
Calgary, Alberta /
MECHATRONICS – Hardware/Mechatronics /
You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. Attabotics is a TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
The Manager, Embedded Systems reporting to the Director of Mechatronics, will manage, oversee, and support the engineering resources for the Embedded Systems of the Robotic shuttle. Through leadership, experience and guidance, the Manager, Embedded Systems will focus on building an engaged team who can meet the product roadmap demands.
The Manager, Embedded Systems will facilitate, coordinate, and oversee the development processes and team capabilities, creating a world class development space for the team to thrive. You’ll be supporting the team’s definition and achievement of personal and career goals and aligning those goals with the needs of the business.
What we need
- Lead and mentor Embedded People Leader(s) and Team members, coach on best practices for software development
- Drive embedded strategies with clear success criteria, formulate aggressive but realistic team objectives and delivering to those objectives
- Participate in the architectural design of the system, be a thought leader on the application of innovative embedded solutions
- Develop and communicate roadmaps for feature development and provide guidance and direction to scheduled software releases
- Ensure the technical capabilities and capacity of the team to meet demands of the product roadmap
- Plan and manage the team budget
- Advise product management of key technologies or other drivers that enable advancement for future product releases
- Ensure embedded efforts are conducted effectively to meet objectives including quality, cost, design control and reliability
- Establish, maintain relevant controls, and feedback systems to monitor embedded development/operations
- Manage and oversee the development of product platforms and features
- Provide status reports and project progress managing exceptions through efficient unblocking or escalation
- Set and measure ‘output based’ goals to ensure NPI embedded projects meet corporate objectives, managing and reporting on risk to the outcomes
- Provide guidance to team ensuring project documentation is accurate and up to date, working with the Engineering teams to mature the application of project artifacts in line with the evolving development processes
As a key member of a project team, you may also be asked to
Who you are
- Strong Technical background of problem solving a commercial product with 8+ years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary environment comprised of Electrical, Mechanical, and/or Embedded Engineering
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical and/or Computer Sciences
- Demonstrates excellent team leadership, presentation, and collaboration skills with at least 3+ years growing and leading a team of technical reports
- Dynamic, driven, organized and meticulous; excels in project and people management; communicates with ease at all levels; thrives in an ambiguous changing environment and is adept at facilitating actions
- Highly skilled in developing firmware for real-time, motion control of robotic systems
- Proficient in control system design, applied robotics, and data analytics
- Exceptional knowledge and experience with C and C++
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills
- Experience using and augmenting automated test systems to verify software, with hardware in the loop
- Able to help others understand and prioritize their work acting as a team enabler, maintaining a high level of drive and enthusiasm for achieving our goals
- Knows what it takes to build support and trust across the organization though clear communication of work and collaboration with peers
- Experience with Agile project management and development processes
- Flexible schedule that may include long days, occasional evenings and weekends, and travel
- Strong project management and planning skills – communicates changes and progress, completes projects on time and budget
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.
Attabotics is aware of false advertisement of our postings, which may include compensation information. These are fraudulent sites and should not be trusted. For a current listing of all our postings, and the only legitimate location to apply, please visit.