Calgary, Alberta /
OPERATIONS – Hardware/Mechatronics /
You want to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completion of objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside of the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you. You have a mad scientist mentality where you want to be part of the robots building robots revolution.
Attabotics is the world’s first 3D robotics supply chain system for modern commerce. Inspired by the framework of ant colonies, Attabotics replaces the rows and aisles of traditional fulfillment centers with a patented storage structure and robotics shuttles that utilize both horizontal and vertical space, reducing a company’s warehouse needs by 85%. By empowering retailers to place fulfillment centers near high-density urban areas, Attabotics helps create jobs and decrease carbon emissions by closing the last-mile delivery gap. A TIME Magazine Most Innovative Company special mention, CNBC Disruptor, and one of Fast Company’s world’s 50 most innovative companies. Attabotics has been adopted by major brands including luxury department store Nordstrom, and other retailers across apparel, grocery, food & beverage, and home goods. Attabotics is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with fulfillment centers across the United States and Canada.
The Structure Team is responsible for engineering and supporting the Attabotics system’s structural components, human interaction points and infrastructure that enables additional system functionality. As a Mechanical Engineer on the Structure Team you will be responsible for following a project from requirement development to production release. This includes, but is not limited to, interacting with stakeholders (internal and external), concept development, prototype design, testing, validation, documentation, and support of the release.
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of non-academic focused experience in a related mechanical engineering design role
- P. Eng considered an asset (EITs on path to P. Eng will be considered)
- Detailed mechanical design knowledge of structures, mechanisms, actuators, and material selection
- Expert in 3D mechanical CAD and PDM/PLM software for design, simulation and documentation. (Siemens NX & Teamcenter experience preferred but experience with similar applications will be considered)
- Working knowledge of various manufacturing processes such as machining, laser & waterjet cutting, injection molding, rapid prototyping, sheet metal, etc
- Practical understanding of ASME drafting standards
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
What we need
- Design new components to support the Attabotics fulfilment system including automated 3D material handling structures, conveyors and peripheral equipment
- Lead and participate in design changes to improve structure systems performance and manufacturability for volume production
- Create detailed mechanical designs, 3D CAD models and related documentation including dimensioned drawings, Bill of Materials, manufacturing instructions and technical service bulletins
- Build up a portfolio of design automation tools and engineering processes to improve efficiency
- Lead and participate in brainstorming sessions, design reviews, testing, and prototyping
- Coordinate engineering change orders with key stakeholders across the organization
- Design of new customer specific builds as well as add-ons and modifications to support existing structures / systems
- Use agile project management concepts while working on projects from initial concept through to completion
- Investigate and simulate the loads and demands on structures to validate that the overall system design meets stakeholder requirements
- Participate in joint development efforts with project managers, vendors/suppliers, clients and industry partners
If this description describes you perfectly and the work environment you know you can thrive in, send us your resume as well as describe to us what you’re passionate about and we may just reach out to you.
Attabotics is committed to employing the best people to do the best job possible within our environment. We hire based on merit and are strongly committed to cultivating diversity as a source of excellence. Attabotics firmly believes that a vast array of perspectives produces and promotes innovation and business success. Our corporate diversity encompasses differences in ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, age, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, physical and mental ability and education.
Attabotics promotes a corporate safety culture where employees’ health, safety & well being is number one and with the ultimate goal of establishing a zero incident work environment.