Procedural Artist (Contract)
New York City /
Full-time (potential for another contract type)
At Augustus we seek to provide intelligent, decision-making systems where others cannot. This calls for accelerating existing and state-of-art AI & ML towards production systems, while innovating in novel, creative ways. For the team at Augustus to be successful, we develop fundamental advances in AI, and repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products towards solving real-world problems with massive impact. At Augustus we’ve built a values-based culture for each individual member to accomplish their life’s best work.
As a Procedural Artist, you will be specialized in creating a procedural asset generation pipeline for quickly creating simulated environments and will be a Houdini subject matter expert. You will also wear multiple hats and take ownership of the art; dipping your hands into lighting, environmental art, materials, animation, and rigging. Your work will be cross disciplinary and seen amongst teams ranging from R&D, platform engineering, and product teams.
- Lay the groundwork to procedurally generate photorealistic and physically accurate assets for simulation scenes of the real world
- Take ownership of all art-related work in construction of simulations (procedural assets, materials, animations, rigging, lighting, environmental art)
- Prepare & cleanup art assets for import i.e. fix UVs , LODs, and lightmaps
- Build pipeline and tools for procedural asset generation
- Provide clear recommendations for pipeline, engine, and tools improvements
- Improve performance of simulations and deploy optimization techniques on art assets
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, five or more years in Game Development, Film, or VFX
- Advanced understanding of Houdini
- Ability to apply mathematical algorithms programmatically using Houdini Python
- Experience with Unity or Unreal Engine
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong understanding of rendering budgets and technical constraints related to performance in real-time engines
- Experience with shaders, materials, environmental art, lighting, animation, and rigging
Nice to Have
- Portfolio showcasing photorealistic scenes with procedurally generated assets
- Experience in the videogame or VFX industry
Augustus is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Our employment decisions are made solely on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need, without regard to race, color, religion, family or parental status, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, and age. We are committed to achieving a diverse workforce and encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.