Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX /
Our Mission: To connect all people in need and the programs that serve them (with dignity and ease).
Aunt Bertha picks up where Uncle Sam leaves off by making it easy to find and apply for government and charitable social service programs. By organizing the world's human service program information, we make it easy for people in need and the people who help them to find help in seconds on https://findhelp.org.
We are looking for people who are driven to make the world a drastically better place and want to join our small group of thoughtful, committed citizens because they believe, as Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Our employees are aligned around this mission. That's why it is a requirement of our application process that you include a cover letter detailing how Aunt Bertha’s mission speaks to you.
Please note: If our mission doesn't strike a chord with you that is OK. But please consider not applying. We are seeking people who come on fire after learning about what we do.
We are a distributed team charged with maintaining and creating the tools that power the search from beginning to end. This includes ensuring the integrity of the information people are searching for while in need, as well as making sure it is delivered in the most findable and meaningful way possible.
We are looking for a senior developer to join our team and help us take our search delivery capabilities into the future in ways that best serve our internal teams and our users looking for help.
We expect this to be a remote role and are open to hiring anywhere in the United States though a slight preference will be given to candidates in the Austin area.
- Collaborate with the team on understanding requirements and breaking them down into valuable, actionable, and testable units.
- Strong mentoring skills
- Write code that works within the bounds of our existing system to deliver features and bug fixes.
- Work with (and across) teams to design and document vision for future improvement.
- Monitor system uptime and general health including participation in our on-call rotation.
- Strong understanding of web performance strategies and metrics
Strongly Preferred Skills
- API design
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Software Architecture
- Technical Writing
- Understanding of User Experience
- Understanding of functional programming techniques
- Experience checking and improving application security
- Experience working on applications that take extra steps to protect PHI and PII
Aunt Bertha is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building a company whose employees understand our users, through their own lived experiences. This means we strive to hire employees that are diverse by race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, sexual orientation, physical abilities, veteran status and socio-economic upbringing.