Wireless/Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engineer
Greater Denver, CO or Washington, DC Areas or Remote
The future digital economy is driven by data. Since 2016, the majority of data moves over wireless communications and wireless technology is expected to grow in excess of 10x by 2020. The scarce and finite resource that makes wireless communications possible is radio frequency (RF) spectrum. Despite its critical importance, the industry uses outdated and ad-hoc methods to track, understand, and invest in spectrum-based infrastructure.
Aurora Insight Inc. provides information as-a-service to help companies make smarter, faster, data-driven decisions about the infrastructure underpinning the digital economy. Aurora employs a remote sensing approach, using a network of sensors on aircraft and microsatellites to “image” spectrum and create a lens for our digital world. As imagery has done in other industries, our goal is to discover new insights that help expand the frontier of connectivity.
To successfully do this, Aurora is looking for smart, self-driven, and creative individuals to help us develop and deliver transformative analytic solutions. If you’re passionate about wireless communications and digital signal processing, we want you to join our team to help us inform global connectivity.
We’re looking for an experienced wireless communication/DSP engineer to:
· Implement cutting-edge algorithms to create business intelligence insights for the telecommunication industry
· Develop novel algorithms based on digital signal processing and machine learning to extract features from RF data, identify RF signals, and localize emissions
· Model and simulate complex RF propagation environments, including antenna effects and multipath
· Create numerical models for interpreting and understanding RF survey data
· Model and simulate modern wireless communication signals
· Develop and expand our knowledge base and best practices for analysis and interpretation of RF signal data
· Contribute your creative energy and talents to a variety of activities in a fast-paced start-up environment
- A minimum of a four-year degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field. Masters or higher is a plus
- Four or more years of experience in wireless communication and digital signal processing
- Expertise in modern wireless communication standards (2G through 5G, WiFi, SATCOM, IoT)
- Expertise in modeling and simulation of wireless systems; experience with RF propagation modeling is desired
- Proficiency in digital communications and digital signal processing theory and application
- Prior work with sensor data; experience with radio sensor data or geospatial sensor data is a plus
- Experience with link budgets and system sensitivity analyses
- A working understanding of geolocation techniques
- A working understanding of wireless communication hardware such as RF front ends, digital signal processors, FPGAs, SoCs, and antennas is desired
- Basic familiarity with machine learning techniques and tools e.g. TensorFlow, etc.
- Proficiency in Python
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work effectively with remote technical and business teams
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to define, execute, follow-up complex tasks and anticipate their impact
- Established problem solving/resolution skills, proactive thinking and ability to take decisive action
- U.S. citizenship or U.S. person status required
Desire to work in our fast-paced start-up environment is key. Aurora provides competitive salary and benefits, start-up company equity options, a modern work environment, challenging problems and opportunities for growth.