Denver or Washington DC /
The future digital economy is driven by data. Over the next 5 years, the number of mobile internet users is expected to increase by more than a billion users, and IoT devices will number in the tens of billions. The scarce and finite resource that makes wireless communications possible is radio frequency (RF) spectrum. Despite its critical importance, the industry uses outdated and ad-hoc methods to track, understand, and invest in spectrum-based infrastructure.
Aurora Insight Inc. provides information as-a-service to help companies make smarter, faster, data-driven decisions about the infrastructure underpinning the digital economy. Aurora employs a remote sensing approach, using a network of sensors on aircraft and microsatellites to “image” spectrum and create a lens for our digital world. As imagery has done in other industries, our goal is to discover new insights that help expand the frontier of connectivity.
To successfully do this, Aurora is looking for smart, self-driven, and creative individuals to help us develop and deliver transformative analytic solutions. If you’re passionate about data and the power of analytics to create industry re-defining insights, we want you to join our team to help us inform global connectivity.
We’re looking for an experienced data scientist to:
- Use a data science approach to build and deploy models and algorithms that transform sensor data into data products for the wireless communications industry
- Develop novel algorithms based on optimization, statistical analysis, and machine learning to extract features or metrics from geospatial and RF data
- Work with engineering to productionize and deploy algorithms on cloud infrastructure to process terabytes of RF data
- Perform custom data processing and analysis and communicate conclusions to the rest of the company and external partners.
- Become an expert in several areas of our core capabilities
- Develop and expand our knowledge base and best practices for analysis and interpretation of very large data sets
- Contribute your creative energy and talents to a variety of activities in a fast-paced start-up environment
In order to make that happen, we’re looking for you to have these interests and skills:
- A four-year degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field. Masters or higher is a plus
- 2+ years of experience in machine learning, algorithm development, or feature extraction applied to numerical data
- Proficiency in Python and experience on Linux systems.
- Experience with software development practices and tools, like Git, CI, etc. is a plus.
- Experience with distributed cloud systems and tools, like Docker, AWS, GCP, etc. is a plus.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in Aurora is a plus.
- Prior work with sensor data, in particular radio sensor data or geospatial data, is a plus
- A working understanding of wireless communications such as radio spectrum, digital signal processing (DSP), antennas, and radios is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work effectively with remote technical and business teams
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to define, execute, follow-up complex tasks and anticipate their impact
Desire to work in our fast-paced start-up environment is key. Aurora provides competitive salary and benefits, start-up company equity options, a modern work environment, challenging problems and opportunities for growth.