Senior Engineering Manager, Helioscope
Engineering – Product Engineering /
About the role:
Aurora Solar is a fast-growing Series D company on a mission to create a future of solar energy for all. Aurora makes the software that is enabling society to transition to a world powered by solar power. It’s our goal to have every solar installation in the world pass through our software, which has already been used to design millions of solar projects. Named one of “The Best Midsized Remote Companies To Work for in 2023” by BuiltInSF.com and awarded #1 Solar Software platform by Solar Power World, Aurora is disrupting the energy industry and changing the course of history.
HelioScope, by Aurora Solar, is a cloud-based design and engineering platform which lowers the cost and increases the accuracy of commercial, industrial and utility scale photovoltaic (PV) solar projects. HelioScope powers our customers through the design and engineering process for tens of thousands of large-scale PV projects around the world every month. HelioScope is one of our fastest-growing products at Aurora. We are looking for an Engineering Manager to coach and manage a set of 4 to 6 engineers as we collaborate with our design and business partners across Aurora Solar to build what matters for our customers.
We are a passionate and diverse team that aspires to be the best place for the best people and we’re looking for talented individuals to accelerate our exponential growth as we continue to scale. If you are looking for a stimulating and fulfilling role, come join us!
The HelioScope teams work on a wide range of engineering challenges including:
- Creating elegant user interfaces to support 2D and 3D CAD, graphing, charting, and dense information sharing
- Designing low-latency, robust, easily-observed, and scalable internal and public APIs
- Managing highly scalable, parallelized, compute-heavy, asynchronous tasks run on cloud-based GPUs
- Solar system simulations consisting of irradiance, shading, and electrical circuit modeling
- Financial modeling based on utility rates, incentives, system outputs and costs
- Customizable reporting and proposal builders
- User and business analytics
- Test automation, CI/CD pipeline creation and maintenance, and developer productivity
What you’ll do:
- Mentor, coach, and manage a set of engineers as they work towards our quarterly and annual objectives
- Review and help to improve technical designs, project plans, and feature delivery
- Monitor and improve development processes to drive productivity and happiness
- Work closely with Product, Design and Business partners to define, refine and prioritize work within your domain
- Recruit, train, guide, and develop your team
What we value:
- Thoughtful, humble, and mature people-centric engineering leader who subscribes to the tenets of servant leadership
- A deep understanding of the Agile methods, DevOps practices and Lean software development principles
- Ability to break down large projects, identify risk, plan for iterative development and incremental releases to help deliver value faster and ensure continuous feedback
- Adept at designing, building, and simplifying systems; even more adept at helping develop those skills within others
- Deep understanding of both Object Oriented Programming and Functional Programming best practices
- Knowledge of design patterns from class level to application scope
- Outstanding communication skills and a natural inclination to work with others
At Aurora Solar, we tie our base pay ranges to level and location. In Canada, this means that your base pay ranges will fall into one of two geographic pay zones depending on your location.
In most cases, we target the midpoint of our salary ranges for new hire compensation. This placement is reflective of full proficiency in a role. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a number of factors including skills, qualifications, and location. This role is eligible for additional variable compensation and an equity grant, which will be discussed in your initial recruiter conversation.
Our current base pay ranges in each zone are:
- Tier 1 Toronto, Vancouver: CAD $184,500.00 - $250,000.00
- Tier 2 All Other CA Locations: CAD $168,500.00 - $228,000.00
Aurora is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce of people who believe in and are passionate about creating a future of solar energy for all. We are an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and consider qualified applicants regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. We encourage you to apply even if you believe that you do not meet all of the above criteria!
Our mission at Aurora is to create a future of solar energy for all. We aim to reflect that inclusivity in the people who imagine and build our product by creating an environment where diversity is cherished and where anyone—regardless of background—can thrive. We strive to always do better and know that by empowering people, we can power the planet.