Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack (HelioScope)
Engineering – Product Engineering /
About the role:
Aurora Solar is a fast-growing Series D company on a mission to create a future of solar energy for all. Aurora makes the software that is enabling society to transition to a world powered by solar power. It’s our goal to have every solar installation in the world pass through our software, which has already been used to design millions of solar projects. Named one of “The Best Midsized Remote Companies To Work for in 2023” by BuiltInSF.com and awarded #1 Solar Software platform by Solar Power World, Aurora is disrupting the energy industry and changing the course of history.
HelioScope, by Aurora Solar, is a cloud-based design and engineering platform which lowers the cost and increases the accuracy of commercial, industrial, and utility scale photovoltaic (PV) solar projects. HelioScope powers our customers through the design and engineering process for tens of thousands of large-scale PV projects around the world every month. HelioScope is one of our fastest-growing products at Aurora.
We are seeking experienced engineers to help scale our team by contributing your craftsmanship, stewardship, strong habits, skills and knowledge with the team and the broader Aurora Solar organization.
We are a passionate and diverse team that aspires to be the best place for the best people and we’re looking for talented individuals to accelerate our exponential growth as we continue to scale. If you are looking for a stimulating and fulfilling role, come join us!
We work on a wide range of engineering challenges including:
- Creating elegant user interfaces to support 2D and 3D CAD, graphing, charting and dense information sharing
- Designing low-latency, robust, easily-observed and scalable internal and public APIs
- Managing highly scalable, parallelized, compute-heavy, asynchronous tasks run on cloud-based GPUs
- Solar system simulations consisting of irradiance, shading, and electrical circuit modeling
- Financial modeling based on utility rates, incentives, system outputs, and costs
- Customizable reporting and proposal builders
- User and business analytics
- Test automation, CI/CD pipeline creation and maintenance, and developer productivity
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement solutions for both existing software and greenfield features as a key player on a fully remote team of engineers spread across the US and Canada
- Inspire, mentor, and extend your knowledge via pair programming, code & design review
- Challenge assumptions and help the team to continually optimize and improve
- Lead user stories and epics from ideation, through investigation to delivery
- Collaborate with Product Management, Customer Support, Customer Success, and the rest of the HelioScope business unit to build what matters for our customers
What we value:
- 6+ years of pragmatic craftsmanship resulting in high-quality, well-tested, maintainable products
- Expert skills in at least one compiled or interpreted language
- Deep understanding of both Object Oriented Programming and Functional Programming best practices
- Knowledge of design patterns from class level to application scope
- Cloud native programming skill and strong knowledge of cloud architectures
- A deep knowledge of Agile, DevOps, and Lean values, principles and practices
- Adept at designing, building, and optimizing: models in relational databases, RESTful APIs, scalable architectures, reusable components
- Bonus for experience with Redux, Flask, Celery, Redis, Postgres, C++, WebGL, Three.js, CUDA, NodeJs
- Bonus for passion about software tools, or processes related to: Containerization, Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment, Developer Productivity improvements (automation, increased feedback)", Logging, Metrics collection
Aurora is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce of people who believe in and are passionate about creating a future of solar energy for all. We are an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and consider qualified applicants regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. We encourage you to apply even if you believe that you do not meet all of the above criteria!
Our mission at Aurora is to create a future of solar energy for all. We aim to reflect that inclusivity in the people who imagine and build our product by creating an environment where diversity is cherished and where anyone—regardless of background—can thrive. We strive to always do better and know that by empowering people, we can power the planet.