Director, Platform Engineering
Engineering – Product Engineering /
About the role:
Aurora Solar is a fast-growing Series D company on a mission to create a future of solar energy for all. Aurora makes the software that is enabling society to transition to a world powered by solar power. It’s our goal to have every solar installation in the world pass through our software, which has already been used to design millions of solar projects. Named one of “The Best Midsized Remote Companies To Work for in 2023” by BuiltInSF.com and awarded #1 Solar Software platform by Solar Power World, Aurora is disrupting the energy industry and changing the course of history.
We are looking for a Director of Platform Engineering who excels in working with other experienced members of the Aurora team and who is excited to build systems and develop their team. This role is remote from the United States or Canada.
We are a passionate and diverse team that aspires to be the best place for the best people and we’re looking for talented individuals to accelerate our exponential growth as we continue to scale. If you are looking for a stimulating and fulfilling role, come join us!
This role works with engineering teams that are working on a variety of engineering challenges including:
- Developing cross-cutting product services and frameworks, such as user roles and permissions, product configuration settings, and solar project lifecycle workflows
- Development and support of our Enterprise APIs
- Working with Product Leadership to establish scope and definition of new strategic applications
- Driving engineering-wide initiatives to promote our values and culture, and enabling our pods to achieve higher levels of maturity, accountability, and efficiency
What you’ll do:
- As a servant leader, scale a distributed engineering multi-team organization of 20-30 engineers with a combination of engineering managers and ICs reporting to you
- Assist the senior members of the engineering team with org-wide structural, people, process, and technical projects
- Collaborate closely with PMs and EMs to manage execution on product-facing engineering pods
- Invest in coaching, mentoring, and customized growth plans for each individual reporting to you and supporting career development with engineering managers for indirect reports
- Monitor and improve development processes to drive productivity and happiness
- Partner cross-functionally with Product, Design, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Success to drive customer-centric engineering
What we value:
- Kind, humble, and mature people-centric worker who subscribes to the tenets of servant leadership
- 10+ years of engineering management experience working closely in partnership with PMs
- Track record of scaling multi-team engineering organizations in a startup environment with engineering managers as direct reports
- Methodical and process-oriented
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-growth, team-focused environment
- Passionate about building, retaining, and developing distributed teams
- Outstanding communication skills and a natural inclination to collaborate
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing
- A strong technical ability to guide architecture and craftsmanship
At Aurora Solar, we tie our base pay ranges to level and location. In Canada, this means that your base pay ranges will fall into one of two geographic pay zones depending on your location.
In most cases, we target the midpoint of our salary ranges for new hire compensation. This placement is reflective of full proficiency in a role. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a number of factors including skills, qualifications, and location. This role is eligible for additional variable compensation and an equity grant, which will be discussed in your initial recruiter conversation.
Our current base pay ranges in each zone are:
- Tier 1 Toronto, Vancouver: CAD $236,500.00 - $320,000.00
- Tier 2 All Other CA Locations: CAD $216,000.00 - $292,000.00
Aurora is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce of people who believe in and are passionate about creating a future of solar energy for all. We are an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and consider qualified applicants regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. We encourage you to apply even if you believe that you do not meet all of the above criteria!
Our mission at Aurora is to create a future of solar energy for all. We aim to reflect that inclusivity in the people who imagine and build our product by creating an environment where diversity is cherished and where anyone—regardless of background—can thrive. We strive to always do better and know that by empowering people, we can power the planet.