Realtime Corrector / Transcriber (Remote)
4 - Scribe
Empower millions of deaf and hard of hearing people in the USA to communicate more easily, by enabling incredibly fast & accurate captions in their day to day conversations, from job interviews to doctors appointments.
Your mission is to correct errors and mistakes in a conversation transcribed by a machine, so that the deaf / hard of hearing person can understand really accurately the nature of it.
To do this, you'll be trained to Scribe a conversation: you'll be remotely connected to a conversation an Ava user is having through their smartphone. As you hear what's happening, you'll see a first draft of captions appear on your Scribe web platform, and will be able to correct them, like in a text editor. Simple, and super interesting!
Who and what is Ava?
We are a team of highly passionate and ambitious creators and entrepreneurs, aiming to make the world 24/7 accessible for deaf & hard-of-hearing people. Ava is the fastest & most advanced mobile captioning system in the world. It cleverly uses speech recognition and speaker identification technologies, to make conversations between people with hearing loss and hearing people possible.
At Ava, the CEO is the only hearing person in a family of deaf people, and the CTO is deaf and non-speaking - both were Forbes 30 under 30 2017. We use our product everyday to do our standup meetings, lunches, any much more. Our headquarters are in San Francisco, part of our core team is in Paris, and we have several more representatives in other countries. Many tens of thousands of people use Ava daily for their doctors appointments, social events, at work, in schools, and in many other situations. We’re working with large companies like GE, Airbus, Salesforce, USPS, Hilton, and many more. A few of the publications that have written about Ava include : TechCrunch, Wall Street Journal, Forbes,TF1, Le Figaro, Le Monde.
Do you recognize yourself in the below description?
- You are an eloquent speaker and writer. Great level of spelling and grammar, typically you are someone who reads a lot (books, articles, etc.).
- You type fast and accurate on your keyboard! (Typing speed of at least 72 wpm is desirable. Test here: https://www.keyhero.com/free-typing-test/)
- You are savvy with technology and are interested in new technologies, including mobile applications, speech recognition, and artificial intelligence.
- Working remote is a breeze for you. You have worked as a freelancer, remotely before and are used to clear and pro-active communication with people in different places and timezones.
- You have an eye for detail. You have high standards for yourself and others when it comes to delivering quality work!
- You are disciplined, structured, and reliable! Once you are scheduled for a call, we need to be able to rely on you being there and being on time. Trust is key!
- You are pro-active. You bring new ideas to the table, take responsibility and ownership over your work, and you are ready to roll up your sleeves to make things even better.
- Bonus : Similar experience in the past: transcription of audio files, translation, subtitling, proofreading, captioning.
- Bonus : Flexible schedule, with ability to increase hours and become full-time later in the year.
- Bonus : Experience with and/or interest in the deaf and hard of hearing community is a plus!
What do we offer?
- An opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing startup, that also happens to be making a huge social impact.
- Working with an incredibly passionate and vibrant team from all around the world, with all different backgrounds.
- A lot of space to learn, grow, and influence the roadmap. You ideas and suggestions will improve Ava Scribe.
- Competitive and transparent compensation, directly proportional to your responsibilities and time spend.
- Opportunities to grow into a full time role and carrying more responsibilities.
- Learning more about deaf culture, hearing loss, accessibility, and inclusion.
Practical points to consider:
- This is a remote job, but you need to be available for the following PST business hours (8am-6pm). Work is limited to weekdays for the time being, but this may change in the future.
- This is a freelance opportunity to start with. After you go through the quick training, about 1-hour, and pass the tests successfully (1 other hour), you'll be part of a small pool of our Scribe Mission List, and we'll start offering you Scribing missions with a 24-hour notice.
- Your schedule should be flexible enough to ramp up your hours to at least 20 per month within the first 6-8 weeks. Ideally your schedule allows you to take on even more time after that (up to 40-50 hours per week).
- You have to be 'on call' / available within 24 hours notice, ideally even sooner (12 hours is even better).
- You should have a quiet and focused work environment so that you can clearly and accurately caption the conversations.
We look forward to receiving your application. Please take a moment to fill out a few questions we have and make sure you convey why you think you'd make a good fit for this position.
The Ava Team