Senior Backend Engineer (Core Blockchain)
New York /
Fully remote position (option to occasionally visit offices) | #LI-Remote
Avalanche is an open-source platform for launching decentralized finance applications and enterprise blockchain deployments in one interoperable, highly scalable ecosystem. Developers who build on Avalanche can easily create powerful, reliable, and secure applications and custom blockchain networks with complex rulesets or build on existing private or public subnets.
ABOUT AVA LABS
Ava Labs makes it simple to launch finance applications using blockchain technology–with highly scalable and efficient networks, customizable public and private blockchains, the capability to create any digital asset, and more. We are empowering people to build an open, simple, and democratic internet of finance that enables the world to have a more prosperous future.
Ava Labs was founded by Cornell computer scientists who brought on talent from Wall Street to execute their vision. The company has received funding from Andreessen Horowitz, Initialized Capital, and Polychain Capital, with angel investments from Balaji Srinivasan and Naval Ravikant.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior Core Blockchain Engineer at Ava Labs, you’ll devise and lead technical initiatives to improve the featureset and performance of the official Avalanche network client, AvalancheGo. You’ll develop robust tests to ensure the code you write is reliable and create supporting utilities to empower developers in the ecosystem to take full advantage of the Avalanche network. Along the way, you’ll provide mentorship to your peers and engage with the open source community.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Drive core technical projects for AvalancheGo from inception to completion
- Optimize the implementation of novel consensus mechanisms
- Design and implement distributed network testing tools
- Build supporting tools to empower developers to develop on Avalanche
- Provide mentorship to peers and review their code
- Engage with the open source community
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Strong passion for the cryptocurrency, decentralized finance space
- Skill to identify and implement improvements to the codebase without direction from others
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high pressure environment
- Minimum of 4+ years of hands on experience in a production environment with one or more of: public blockchains, consensus protocols, large scale distributed systems, applied cryptography, compilers, peer to peer systems, or any other equivalent technology
- Proficiency in C++, Java, Rust or Golang (Golang is preferred, as it is our primary coding language)
- Familiarity with AWS
- Experience working with distributed/remote teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, must be fluent in English
- Ability to work independently in a fast very paced work environment
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science preferred