Avascent, the leading strategy and management consulting firm serving Fortune 500 companies in aerospace, defense, and technology, is embarking on an expansion of services to Japanese clients and is looking to hire entry-level professionals who can join in 2017 to support this growing practice. Projects for Japanese clients are currently executed out of the DC headquarters but may be based out of a Tokyo office in the future.
Avascent is seeking recent graduates with strong academic performance, proven research and analytical skills, and an interest in business (Fortune 500 companies, private equity, mergers and acquisitions) and government-driven markets (defense, aerospace, technology). Open to relevant majors, including Economics, Business, Engineering, Political Science, Finance, Government, History, and International Relations.
- Serving as an active participant in Avascent project teams to develop and deliver thoughtful, pragmatic and analytically rigorous responses to client inquires
- Conducting primary and secondary source research and analysis under the guidance of the project manager and overall project director
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative analyses using internal and external sources, including databases, information services, and internet resources
- Preparing memos, slides, e-mails, spreadsheets and other materials to capture the results of research and analysis and contribute to the preparation of client deliverables
- Completing defined segments of the overall analysis under the guidance of the project manager, to include structuring the problem, formulating and executing systematically a research plan, conducting analysis and developing coherent end-products that capture the results of the analysis
- Participating in a supporting role during client meetings and discussions, to include occasionally formally presenting segments of Avascent’s analyses to client personnel
- Supporting Avascent’s operations through occasional participation on internal teams to develop and execute key functions such as recruiting, training, and knowledge management
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Success in this position depends heavily on a unique combination of skills that enable the Analyst to execute critical research functions while simultaneously looking at the broader client implications of the information in a team environment
- Solid and creative research skills and an ability to conduct sophisticated and pragmatic analyses of business and policy issues
- Solid quantitative skills sufficient to conduct analyses of market trends, company financials and other topics in support of Avascent’s client engagements
- Ability to execute project plans and work independently on relatively well-defined assignments
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of larger teams
- Ability to communicate ideas and interact in an effective manner with research contacts, more senior Avascent Group staff and client personnel
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access)
- General knowledge of and interest in the industries served by Avascent (e.g., defense, space) and the broader US government policy environment is a plus
- Brings a rigorous, analytical perspective to client business problems
- Engages in a wide variety of projects (growth strategy, market assessment, due diligence, and contract, budget, and financial analyses)
- Loves to learn from peers, managers, and formal training classes
- Takes ownership on projects
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues and project team
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Highly proficient in Japanese
- Two years research and writing experience in an academic and/or work environment and at least six months internship/work experience involving research and/or analysis related to indicated area(s) of study
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellence in academics
- Relevant work experience is advantageous but not required
- Preference given to candidates with authorization to work in Japan and/or the U.S.
Avascent is the leading strategy and management consulting firm serving Fortune 500 companies in aerospace, defense, and technology. We pair together 30 years of experience in the industry with the critical curiosity of recent graduates in order to advise C-suite-level executives on high-level strategy decisions. With 100+ employees headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, as well as offices in London, Paris, and Ottawa, Avascent provides in-depth research, analysis, and strategy for global leaders in aerospace, defense, and technology. Avascent consulting engagements and Avascent Analytics products provide insight on everything from international market expansion to future warfare systems to industry-shaping mergers and acquisitions to billion-dollar strategic investments.