Senior Analyst, Competitive Intelligence
A Senior Analyst executes significant analytical segments of Avascent’s projects, conducting qualitative and quantitative research and analysis and developing findings to support client or internal business objectives, typically under the guidance of a more senior project manager and as part of a larger project team.
This Senior Analyst role will be focused on providing competitive intelligence and price-to-win analysis for global leaders in aerospace, defense, and technology.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serving as an integral team member in Avascent’s price-to-win (PTW) practice, conducting competitive intelligence research and performing PTW analysis
- Developing detailed and analytically rigorous Excel-based cost/price models using both top-down and bottom-up methodologies for a range of bid types
- Serving as internal subject matter expert and resource for other consulting staff
- Serving as an active participant in project teams to develop and deliver thoughtful, pragmatic and analytically rigorous responses to client inquires
- Conducting primary and secondary source research and analysis under the guidance of the project manager or the overall project director
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative analyses using internal and external sources, including databases, information services, and internet resources
- Preparing slides, e-mails, spreadsheets and other materials to capture the results of research and analysis and developing client-ready deliverables that convey the results of the project team’s work
- Working independently to complete significant segments of an overall analysis under the guidance of the project manager, to include structuring the problem, formulating and executing systematically a research plan, conducting analysis and developing coherent end-products that capture the results of the analysis
- Engaging with clients directly on a working level and participating in client meetings and discussions, to include occasionally formally presenting segments of Avascent’s analyses to client personnel
- Mentoring more junior and/or less experienced staff on Avascent practices and methods
- Supporting Avascent’s operations through occasional participation on internal teams to develop and execute key functions such as recruiting, training, and knowledge management
Knowledge & Skills
- Success in this position depends heavily on a unique combination of skills that enable the Senior Analyst to execute critical research functions while simultaneously looking at the broader client implications of the information in a team environment.
- Familiarity with resources such as GovWin, BGov, DACIS, FPDS, federal budgets and other common CI/PTW data sources
- Experience with direct pay analysis using salary survey data
- Experience with indirect wrap rate analysis
- Familiarity with government procurement process, including analyzing RFPs
- Solid and creative research skills and an ability to conduct sophisticated and pragmatic analyses of business and policy issues
- Solid quantitative skills sufficient to conduct analyses of market trends, company financials and other topics in support of Avascent’s client engagements
- Ability to execute project plans and work independently on less well-defined assignments
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of larger teams
- Ability to communicate ideas and interact in an effective manner with research contacts, more senior Avascent staff and client personnel in written, graphic and oral form
- Ability to execute smaller client projects and substantial segments of larger assignments with minimal day-to-day oversight
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Knowledge of and interest in the industries served by Avascent (e.g., defense, space) and the broader US government acquisition environment is required.
- Experience in the federal services market is a plus.
Education & Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in business, international relations, political science, economics, government, engineering or related field from a recognized institution with coursework relevant to Avascent’s core business.
- Between one (1) to three (3) years of experience conducting competitive intelligence.
Avascent is the leading strategy and management consulting firm serving Fortune 500 companies in aerospace, defense, and technology. We pair together 30 years of experience in the industry with the critical curiosity of recent graduates in order to advise C-suite-level executives on high-level strategy decisions. With 100+ employees headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, as well as offices in London, Paris, and Ottawa, Avascent provides in-depth research, analysis, and strategy for global leaders in aerospace, defense, and technology. Avascent consulting engagements and Avascent Analytics products provide insight on everything from international market expansion to future warfare systems to industry-shaping mergers and acquisitions to billion-dollar strategic investments.