Senior UX Researcher
Product Design – Sensors - DEMS
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Our team strives to build software products that work seamlessly within the Axon network and law enforcement ecosystem. Your role will span across Axon Evidence, working with our customer experience team to ensure quality and our evidence workflow team to build insightful ways of managing and processing evidence. You will have a good understanding of how your research impact the software development process and product success. The focus of your job will range from defining high-level product strategy to working with teams and individuals to refine the user experience of Axon Evidence, and everything in between. You will be thinking about the end-user experience of police officers, detectives, courts, the public and first responders, and how they interact with our product ecosystem to accomplish their tasks.
Check out our future vision for Axon products here: https://vimeo.com/333871354
Check out our future vision for our records product here: https://vimeo.com/221924983
Read about our ethics board: https://www.axon.com/info/ai-ethics
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks. We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. All disciplines at Axon spend time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- You will lead all research for your product, be a resource for methods and techniques, and a strategic partner to Product Management and Engineering
- Meeting with stakeholders to define an upcoming usability study,
- Analyze survey results and put together a presentation for stakeholders
- Talk to a Product Designer and Product Manager about how to best address a usability issue uncovered in a recent usability study
- Update your research roadmap and share it with senior leadership
- Review the latest build and talk to an Engineer about a bug you found
- Attend a Product Design team meeting and discuss open usability questions that need to get answered
- Answer a question from a Product Manager about appropriate sample size or which method to use
- Refine a persona based on customer feedback
- Conduct a usability session with a user
- Lead UX Research for one or more products.
- Be a founding member of the UX Research team and help build the discipline at the company.
- Define and drive both qualitative as well as quantitative user data gathering efforts to effectively inform product planning, design and development.
- Build and maintain a research roadmap and a regular cadence of gathering user data.
- Drive the process of defining a set of satisfaction/pulse check criteria to measure product effectiveness, satisfaction and engagement.
- Evolve user persona documentation over time.
- Evolve best practices for recruiting participants, attending usability sessions and accessing usability research recommendations.
- Inspire the company at all levels to gather better user data and to act on it appropriately.
- Educate the company on research methodologies.
- Mentor other UX and Product team members around effective qualitative and quantitative user data gathering methods.
- 6+ conducting effective user research by applying a broad range of methodologies including in-person and remote usability testing, site visits, paper prototype testing, concept testing, survey design, diary studies, and contextual inquiries
- Master's degree in one of these disciplines: Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, or similar
- Exceptional behavioral data-collection and analysis skills, e.g., designing, conducting, and analyzing all kinds of user data
- Must love diving into complex user research problems
- Extensive end-to-end experience with all aspects of usability research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting)
- Solid experience working closely with UX Design, Product, and Engineering teams on gathering and implementation of research recommendations
- Experience with defining and reporting on product instrumentation or analytics data is considered a plus.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment is considered a plus
- You have a portfolio that includes examples of strategic research with significant business outcome
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- An encouraging parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.