Supplier Quality Engineer
Scottsdale, Arizona /
Operations – Quality Assurance /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As Axon’s Supplier Quality Engineer, you will be responsible for providing Quality Engineering support for all Axon products, including: Conducted Electrical Weapons, Cartridges, Body Worn Cameras and accessories. You will be a key technical leader responsible for working with suppliers, in cooperation with Axon Design Engineering, Quality and Supply Chain.
In addition to collaborating on the selection of qualified suppliers, you will be leading the efforts to quantify and improve supplier performance, providing a positive impact on the quality of new and existing products (specifically by reducing PPMs, lowering cost of poor quality, and improving delivery to demand on time).
Axon is a dynamic, fast-paced environment and we welcome new ideas, team spirit and cooperation across departments. We offer career growth plans for our employees and provide technical training and learning as needed.
Your Day to Day
- Audit supplier critical manufacturing & inspection processes, policies and procedures to ensure performance and quality standards conform to established Axon Quality requirements
- Engage in selection and evaluation activities of new potential suppliers, and conduct onsite auditing of the supplier to assess quality and/or process related requirements
- Ensure flow down of Axon Supplier Quality Clauses to its supply base
- Ensure New Product Introduction (NPI) takes place in accordance with criteria and inspection plans set up and managed by Axon Program Management, Design and Quality, and in accordance with Supply Chain purchase order requirements and clauses
- Review product validation by supplier (FAIR), monitorsupplier process FMEA and production control plan (PCP), and advise suppliers PFMEA or PCP improvements
- Assess supplier inspection capabilities onsite as needed (IQC/OQC/IPQC); Assist in generating appropriate inspection plans, and evaluate any inspection and process capability studies provided by suppliers (Cpk, Ppk, Gage R&R)
- When needed, evaluatesupplier engineering drawings, specifications, special processes and related purchasing requirements for processes, product fabrication and inspection plans, and communicate/coordinate acceptance with Axon Design, Manufacturing and Quality
- Participate in measuring, reporting, and correcting supplier quality performance, control processing system anomalies, and non-conforming processes and products
- Issue Corrective Action Requests (CARs), and Non-Conformance Material Reports (NCMRs) to resolve issues
- Participate in creating remedial activities for suppliers displaying low quality performance based on defective PPMs and non-conformance frequencies, in coordination with Axon Supply Chain and Quality
- Communicate and monitor any implemented corrective action, improvement plans and lessons learnt at the supplier after non-conformance events.
- Provide feedback, data and metrics regarding supplier quality performance level to Operations, Finance and Engineering
- Position may involve occasional travel and communication across U.S. and Asia time zones
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemistry and/or Material Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years experience in manufacturing of mechanical parts (i.e. cast metal parts, molded rubber or plastic parts, cast ceramic parts, machined and stamped parts)
- Knowledge of quality management system (QMS) requirements, (ISO9001, AS9100, TS16949 or a comparable quality specification)
- Minimum three (3) years experience in first and second party audits utilizing ISO9001, AS9100, TS16949 or a comparable quality management system
- Ability to read and understand assembly drawings, schematics, block diagrams and Engineering Change Notices (ECR, ECO) for specific inspection criteria and evaluation
- Solid understanding of receiving, in-process and outgoing inspection processes including statistical sampling, component measurement techniques, specifications and drawings
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment, and decision-making skills required with thorough working knowledge of QC tools, methods and practices (DOE, PFMEA, Control Plans, Lean Manufacturing concepts, DMAIC, Root Cause Analysis, 8D Methodology, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication in English
- Experience working with statistical software (i.e. QI Macros, Minitab, JMP)
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Proficient in selected Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook)
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt certified
- Experience with measurement analysis methods (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility)
- Background in PCBAs and Batteries
- Certified to ASME GD&T
- Certified to IPC-A-610 or IPC-A-620
- Experience working in Automotive, Aerospace, Medical or Consumer Electronics industry
- Auditing to Aerospace or Nadcap audit checklists
- Experience as a supplier quality engineer in previous position(s)
- Experience with FATP( Final Assembly, Test and Pack) suppliers
- Experience in travelling to Global Suppliers
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.