Manager Global Supplier Quality
Scottsdale, Arizona /
Operations – Quality Assurance /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
The Manager, Global Supplier Quality is a member of the Global Quality & HW Reliability team, the role of which is to execute a unified approach to managing Quality throughout the supply chain with the intent to deliver high quality products and services that meet the specifications and high standards of Axon. The primary focus of this role is to monitor and constantly reduce manufacturing variation in the supply chain, to prevent supplier manufacturing processes from producing defects and to ensure effective manufacturing detection and control methods are in place to prevent escapes by driving improvements in manufacturing methods and processes in conformance to Axon specifications; and influencing improvements in Axon and supplier’s product design to effect robust manufacturing processes. He/She represents the voice of the customer to our supply chain partners and is a continuous quality improvement force within the organization through effective interactions within the broader Manufacturing, Quality and Supply Chain teams and cross collaboration with Engineering and Product Management.
Your Day to Day
- The Manager, Global Supplier Quality is responsible for leading a team of experienced supplier quality engineering professionals to oversee, monitor, manage and continuously improve the supplier quality performance of Axon’s global supply chain in order to meet to Axon product requirements. The SQM is responsible to ensure the rigorous evaluation and selection of new suppliers, monitor and manage the performance of Axon’s supply base, assess and mitigate risks in the suppliers’ manufacturing processes, and continually drive the corrective and prevention action process to permanently eliminate any defects produced. He/She and his/her team are responsible for the following:
- As a key stakeholder of the cross-functional assessment team, provide subject matter expertise in the realm of Quality Management System (processes, controls and effectiveness) in the selection of potential new suppliers and contract manufacturers to ensure supplier capabilities are well aligned with Axon requirements.
- On an ongoing basis, continuously monitor supplier quality performance and facilitate periodic quality/business reviews to drive continual improvements.
- Working in close collaboration with our supply partners, facilitate the development and maintenance of PFMEA to quantify supplier process risks and designing processes to prevent the production of defects. Effect robust assembly operations and manufacturing processes through manufacturability assessment and error-proofing methods to prevent operator errors. Effect robust production testing processes to prevent the escapement of product nonconformities.
- Through Quality Control Planning, institute the set of inspection and testing scheme for key product characteristics and key process parameters within the supplier’s manufacturing process to ensure that the product produced is to specifications; and the necessary actions taken to correct nonconformances when they are detected. Institute any Axon source inspection and product/process audits to drive supplier behavior for continuous quality improvement. Ensure supply partners carry out GR&R or other MSA to verify the precision of any MITE used
- As a result of product, process or quality system nonconformance, effectively manage the closed-loop problem resolution process to minimize the impact of supplier nonconformance to Axon and its customers from proper material containment and product screening to rigorous root cause identification and corrective action implementation to prevent recurrence
- Apply a rigorous First Article Inspection product and process qualification process for the approval of new parts supplied to Axon to ensure that Axon specifications are properly understood by the supplier and that the process can produce product consistently meeting Axon requirements during an actual production run at the quoted production rate
- Oversee a team of incoming inspectors and manage the incoming sampling for the receipt of supplier components and raw materials as a means of monitoring supplier quality performance and as a gate to prevent nonconforming material from negatively impacting the production lines
- Coach, mentor and provide training and tools to staff to facilitate the achievement of the requirements of their position and goals and objectives.
- Establish the goals and objectives for the staff that is commensurate with Quality, Operations, and Corporate goals.
- Manage, appraise and develop staff. Take necessary corrective actions for underperformance.
- Interview prospective talent for quality, reliability and other operations functions as needed and participate in hiring decisions.
- Develop and maintain effective relationship with employees through effective and timely communication.
1. New supplier assessment and selection
2. Supplier performance management
3. Supplier process development and risk mitigation
4. Supplier Quality Control
5. Supplier Quality Improvement
6. Supplier new part approval
7. Axon incoming quality control
8. Fulfill other management responsibilities including staff development:
Basic Qualifications and
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Electrical engineering. Advanced degree, preferred.
- ·CMQ/OE, CQE and CSSBB certifications preferred. CRE certification a plus
- 7-10 years’ combined experience working in a Supplier Quality or Quality function on complex electromechanical systems.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience of people management.
- Strong track record of successfully managing overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers, Mexico and Asia
- In depth knowledge of the product life cycle process; new product introduction, sustainment, end of life/obsolescence.
- Highly skilled with root cause analysis tools and problem-solving methods.
- ·Well versed in statistical analysis and tools, such as Mini-Tab
- Highly skilled with defect avoidance methodologies such as poke yoke, DFMEA/PFMEA, DOE
- Strong knowledge and experience with APQP concepts and methodologies including FMEA, quality control planning, error-proofing, PPAP, SPC, MSA.
- ·Proficient in MS Office suite of applications. Proficiency in Minitab and Weibull ++ desired.
Capabilities and Competencies:
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritizes matters of competing importance, and effectively uses available resources to meet time constraints.
- Willingness and ability to work in a global, multi-site company that often requires working extended hours to get the job done or to fulfill urgent tasks
- Highly motivated with superior sense of urgency and accountability with “not on my watch” mentality
- Self-directed with a proactive mindset to not only identify problems but lead teams to solve them
- Inherent sense of curiosity predisposed to learning and driving to root cause
- Healthy dose of skepticism to challenge the status quo of existing systems and processes in pursuit of continuous improvement
- Proven ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment without having a “herd” mentality
- Trust but verify mindset to be hands-on and an attention to detail
- Data-driven and detail oriented with strong initiative and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Strong business acumen to balance business priorities with customer advocacy; and achieving quality improvements without impacting operational efficiencies or product cost
- Ability to operate in a highly dynamic environment to juggle multiple priorities, to react quickly to emergencies and where processes and procedures are not well defined or documented
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- A supportive parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.