Sr. Engineering Director, Machine Learning Platform
Seattle, Washington /
Software Engineering – Artificial Intelligence /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As a Sr. Director of Machine Learning Engineering you will report directly to Axon’s SVP of AI and be a critical member of the AI Leadership team. You will be responsible for leading machine learning platform initiatives to harness Axon’s vast and growing network of sensors, signals, and data to provide measurably differentiated outcomes for our public safety customers and the communities they serve.
As a machine learning engineering thought leader and key partner in Axon’s product and technology organization, you will identify key strategic opportunities and define, grow, lead, and retain a world-class team of ML Platform engineers. The ideal candidate will have a proven software engineering and scalable distributed systems architectural background as well as a consistent track record of success with hands-on execution and demonstrated ability to manage machine learning platform engineering teams. You will actively collaborate with peer engineering, science and product teams to ship and operate services at scale.
We need someone willing to be fearless and more than willing to take on bold challenges. By accelerating adoption of our technologies, you'll help protect life in public safety for officers and the communities they serve around the world.
- Operate as a thought leader and visionary, with the ability to guide, influence and inspire peak performance, innovation and adoption of the latest engineering practices to enable AI technologies across the Axon value chain .
- Grow and lead a world-class team of machine learning platform engineers that deliver novel, strategic AI-enabled solutions with diverse, industry-leading skills in distributed machine Learning training workflows, edge AI, data engineering and tools both in the cloud and on-device.
- Collaborate with science, tech and product teams on defining, architecting and building data ingestion systems and model training pipelines from experimentation to deployment, monitoring and continuous performance improvement.
- Bring your industry expertise to challenge existing assumptions and introduce new distributed system architectures including high-throughput machine learning training pipelines and low-latency model hosting technologies
- Develop a collaborative and inclusive team that fosters a culture of ownership, experimentation, and innovation while joining forces with product teams to deliver working solutions for our Customers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 7+ years of software engineering experience and a proven track record of successfully architecting and building highly available, low latency systems for high traffic applications
- 4+ years in a leadership/management role with a solid track record of building and leading engineering teams
- Fluency in Scala (or Java) as well as prior experience working with machine learning workflows in python
- Designed and built multiple complex, scalable, high throughput, low latency streaming/batch processing machine learning pipelines for both data flows and algorithm execution
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with major cloud environments (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to dive into system architecture, design, performance metrics, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations
- Comfort communicating and interacting with scientists, engineers and product managers
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 9+ years of software engineering experience building and shipping data science AI enabled products
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with machine learning platforms from major providers (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Familiarity with IoT/Edge AI and optimizing ML pipelines to run on-device with constrained compute, power and latency budgets
- Previous experience leading multiple geographically distributed teams
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.