Director, Hardware Reliability and Validation
Scottsdale, Arizona /
Operations – Validation /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As Axon’s Director of Validation & Hardware Reliability, you will be a continuous improvement force in the organization to, both proactively and reactively, drive reliability improvements in product, process and system throughout the entire product lifecycle. Reporting to the VP of Global Quality and Hardware Reliability, you will provide inputs in the development of and execute the enterprise quality strategy for the organization and lead the Validation and Reliability Team to deliver the highest levels of product reliability to the business and the growth of Axon. You are a subject matter expert in the field of Reliability and can lead teams to apply best practices and statistical tools to proactively prevent problems and also to solve problems after they have occurred. You will help define and execute the Reliability and Validation test strategy for all Axon products, ensuring our products meet and have margin to meet the full range of the operating conditions, customer usage and design intent. You will lead, resource and continuously improve all aspects of Axon’s validation and reliability organization’s performance and ensure key partners are aligned with global business objectives. In addition, you will support the improvement and implementation of quality systems and practices required to support continuous improvement, efficiency and growth of Axon. You have the business acumen to assess business objectives against quality risks to recommend and effect optimal outcomes. You will have direct responsibility for overseeing, managing and developing a team of Validation and Hardware Reliability professionals.
Your Day to Day
- Own responsibility for the validation and reliability of Axon products in customer applications by leading a team of experienced validation and reliability engineers to continually improve methods, capabilities and models, resulting in the reduction of field returns as a key performance measure.
- Develop and drive a detailed validation and reliability strategy that supports product schedules and strategic business objectives
- Be the subject matter expert and coach the team in the latest techniques and best practices in Validation and Reliability, leveraging a deep experience in DFR, HALT, ALT, ORT, RGT
- Be an active participant and voice during requirements development to ensure that appropriate usage models are defined across the span of operating limits
- Drive Axon Reliability Program (ARP) including the use of accelerated testing methodologies in the discovery of potential issues early in product development and partner with Engineering to DfR and designing with margin
- Drive planning and execution of reliability testing of components, modules and system to demonstrate achievement of reliability requirements within product time-to-market goals and for ongoing production.
- Participate in design reviews to provide inputs to validation and verification testing and interpretation of test results.
- Work with Quality Engineers, to ensure that all specified requirements have been verified or validated prior to production launch.
- Participate in the FRB / FRACAS process to drive reliability failures to root cause resolution and validate corrective actions are effective.
- Evaluate, improve and drive validation request process – from validation request, requirements review, planning, scheduling, execution, completion and resolution
- Develop and deploy test status, tracking and reporting tools; including validation testing dashboard
- Drive efficiencies and reporting through use of metrics and measures, regularly reporting to key stakeholders
- Manage equipment and lab space across multiple sites, including calibration and maintenance
- Manage resources, planning and executing in a very dynamic environment
- Scale, lead and mentor a World Class team, implementing best practices and new methodologies
- Align and support our QMS. The Quality Management System is the backbone of our organizational process/procedure alignment and compliance with ISO 9001. Maintaining alignment and compliance to ISO9001 in our validation and reliability organization is essential.
- Advanced Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, or related field
- Minimum fifteen (15) years work experience in Quality on complex electromechanical systems, both in-house manufacturing and outsourced through contract manufacturers
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience leading quality, reliability, validation or engineering teams
- Deep understanding of the importance of the validation, reliability and quality functions in the organization from strategic and global perspective
- Success influencing and leading cross functional teams, using an objective, data-driven approach
- In depth knowledge of the product life cycle process; new product introduction, sustainment, end of life/obsolescence Willingness and ability to challenge up in the organization
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritizes matters of competing importance, and effectively uses available resources to meet time constraints.
- Willingness and ability to work in a global, multi-site company that often requires working extended hours to get the job done or to fulfill urgent tasks
- Highly motivated with superior sense of urgency and accountability with “not on my watch” mentality
- Self-directed with a proactive mindset to not only identify problems but lead teams to solve them
- Inherent sense of curiosity predisposed to learning and driving to root cause
- Healthy dose of skepticism to challenge the status quo of existing systems and processes in pursuit of continuous improvement
- Proven ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment without having a “herd” mentality
- Trust but verify mindset to be hands-on and an attention to detail
- Data-driven and detail oriented with strong initiative and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Strong business acumen to balance business priorities with customer advocacy; and achieving quality improvements without impacting operational efficiencies or product cost
- Ability to operate in a highly dynamic environment to juggle multiple priorities, to react quickly to emergencies and where processes and procedures are not well defined or documented
- Six Sigma & ASQ Certifications are a plus
- Experience with Jira, Smartsheet, Zephyr, TM4J, Minitab/JMP, Splunk, Tableau a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- A supportive parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.