Director of Global Quality
Scottsdale, Arizona /
Operations – Quality Assurance /
Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with the state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of the police record so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
As Axon’s Director of Global Quality, you will be a continuous improvement force in the organization to, both proactively and reactively, drive quality improvements in product, process and system throughout the entire product lifecycle. Reporting to the VP of Global Quality and Hardware Reliability, you will provide inputs in the development of and execute the enterprise quality strategy for the organization and lead the global Quality Team to deliver the highest levels of quality to the business and the growth of Axon. You are a subject matter expert in the field of Quality and can lead teams to apply best practices and statistical tools in solving problems before and after they have occurred. You have the business acumen to assess business objectives against quality risks to recommend and effect optimal outcomes. You will have direct responsibility for overseeing, managing and developing a team of Quality Engineering, Supplier Quality, Quality System and Configuration Management professionals.
You have a consistent track record of success with hands on execution and demonstrated ability to weigh the financial needs of the organization with the investments necessary to achieve the quality goals of the business. You will lead, resource and continuously improve all aspects of Axon’s quality performance and ensure key partners are aligned with global and regional business objectives.
Your Day to Day
- Serve as overall Quality Department Leader, providing direction, goals, and vision to the team and to business partners across Axon:
- Effect continual improvements in RMA rates of Axon products as the primary measure of success for the Quality department through both preventive and corrective improvements of products and processes.
- Product Quality Owner for Axon products across the entire product lifecycle, working hand in hand with the Product Owners and responsible stakeholders to drive product quality improvements in product design, manufacturing processes and purchased components
- Provide rigorous review, oversight and execution of quality deliverables of the product design during the PLC process to assess risks by prioritizing and mitigating potential product quality issues before they are designed in
- Partner with Validation & Reliability to ensure product requirements and customer usage conditions are well defined and vetted through verification and validation activities, both during product development and sustainment
- Effectively manage the closed-loop problem resolution process to minimize the impact of quality issues to the field/customer from proper material containment and screening to rigorous root cause identification and corrective action implementation to prevent recurrence.
- Work collaboratively with Manufacturing and Engineering teams to constantly reduce manufacturing variation by preventing manufacturing processes from producing defects and ensuring effective manufacturing detection methods are in place to prevent escapes.
- Responsible for the oversight and effective management of the Supplier Quality function through the Manager of Global Supplier Quality as a direct report. Oversee, monitor, manage and continuously improve the supplier quality performance of Axon’s global supply chain in order to meet to Axon product requirements. Responsible to ensure the rigorous evaluation and selection of new suppliers, monitor and manage the performance of Axon’s supply base, assess and mitigate risks in the suppliers’ manufacturing processes, and continually drive the corrective and prevention action process to permanently eliminate or to prevent defects produced.
- Oversee Axon incoming inspection and manage the incoming sampling for the receipt of supplier components and raw materials as a means of monitoring supplier quality performance and as a gate to prevent nonconforming material from negatively impacting Axon manufacturing
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of Axon’s Quality Management System through the Quality System Manager, as a direct report. At Axon, certification of the QMS by a third-party registrar is not an end in itself but a means to the practical and effective application of the ISO 9001 requirements. The Quality Management System provides the framework and appropriate level of rigor for the proper functioning of Axon’s business processes and continued improvement.
- Quality maintains the change control process to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the product documentation structure.
Supplier Management and Development
Quality System Management
- Advanced Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, or related field
- 15-20+ years work experience in Quality on complex electromechanical systems, both inhouse manufacturing and outsourced through contract manufacturers
- 10+ years of experience owning the Quality function in a multi-site, global enterprise environment across Americas, Europe and Asia
- Success influencing and leading a global Quality Team as well as partnering with Senior Leadership in a fast-paced, dynamic environment of consistent growth
- Deep understanding of the importance of the quality function in the organization from strategic and global perspective
- Demonstrated success in implementing quality processes, systems, and metrics to affect outcomes and create organizational value
- In depth knowledge of the product life cycle process; new product introduction, sustainment, end of life/obsolescence.
- Highly skilled with root cause analysis tools and methods to not only identify problems but lead teams to solve them
- Highly skilled with defect avoidance methodologies such as poke yoke, DFMEA / PFMEA, DOE to lead or coach across the organization
- Strong knowledge and experience in the application of APQP concepts and methods including FMEA, control plans, mistake proofing, PPAP, SPC, and Gage R&R
- Strong interpersonal skills with the temperament to be able to work effectively in a matrix organization and confidence to stand firm on critical to customer / quality requirements. Willingness and ability to challenge up in the organization, when the situation demands
- Excellent presentation skills to all levels of the organization
- Black Belt Certified and demonstrated experience with Six Sigma tools & lean manufacturing techniques a plus
- CMQ/OE, CQE and CRE a plus
- Superior sense of urgency and accountability with “not on my watch” mentality
- Inherent sense of curiosity predisposed to learning and driving to root cause
- Healthy dose of skepticism to challenge the status quo of existing systems and processes in pursuit of continuous improvement
- Trust but verify mindset to be hands-on and an attention to detail
- Ability to operate in a highly dynamic environment to juggle multiple priorities, to react quickly to emergencies and where processes and procedures are not well defined or documented
- Proven ability to work successfully in a highly collaborative environment without having a “herd” mentality
- Self-directed with a proactive mindset, without the need for prodding
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- A supportive parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.